Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harmony

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 9, 2001.

1. I thought I got chords, until I attemted them on guitar.

How do you play lets say a major triad?... for example, they come out to no more than 2 strings.

Also, I looked at tabs to give me a better idea, and they all depicted them as completely different than the root, 3 and 5.

Also, trid fingerings I can find have 4 and 5 strings played at once.

What am I missing?

2. What you're missing is that the notes of the triad are repeated within the chord. You use 4-6 strings, but the notes for your basic major and minor chords have just the root, 3rd (or b3), and fifth. Some of them appear more than once in the chord is all.

Example:

E ----3---- (G)
    B ----0---- (B)
    G ----0---- (G)
    D ----0---- (D)
    A ----2---- (B)
    E ----3---- (G)

This is a G major chord, but the only notes are the root, 3rd, and 5th.

3. Thanks for the help Purgatory. But how would you play lets say, an A major triad; wouldn't you have to play the same string twice?

4. Not at all.

The A major chord (folk chord) is as follows

E ---0--- (E, THE 5TH)
    B ---2--- (C#, THE 3RD)
    G ---2--- (A, THE ROOT)
    D ---2--- (E)
    A ---0--- (A, OBVIOUSLY :) )
    E ---X--- (not played, or could be played to reinforce the 5th even more)

Try going to your local music store and looking for a chord dictionary. I don't remember the publisher, but I've seen one here with over 1,100 chords that only costs $4.95. Seeing the chords has helped me a lot in understanding how they're built and therefore, what to play with them (still learning though). Have fun and I hope this is helping somewhat.

5. you have to think outside the one-octave box.

6. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    Another way of fretting triads on a git would be:
    ex.1 G Major Triad
    E--X--
    B--3-- (5th=D)
    G--4-- (3rd=B)
    D--5-- (Root=G)
    A--X--
    E--X--

ex.2 C Major Triad
    E--X--
    B--X--
    G--0-- (5th=G)
    D--2-- (3rd=E)
    A--3-- (Root=C)
    E--X--

These would be strictly triads. With this you'll have to be careful not to pluck or pick the X'd out strings. Otherwise you'll be sounding off a different chord (which might not sound bad at all, but depending on the tune). For example (ex.1) if you were to play the "A" along with the rest of the fretted strings = that would make it a "G +2", or if you play the "E" along with the rest of the fretted strings = that will be a "G6".