Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harold Jaeger bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by blindeddie, Feb 8, 2006.

1. does anyone have any info on Harold Jaeger basses? i found a 1941 3/4 round-back, fully carved bass. i think they said it was a czech bass. it's kinda rough cosmetically, but plays and sounds very nice. they are asking $3500. not bad at all, especially considering how easy it is to play and how nice it sounds. i haven't had a chance to use my bow on her yet, so still not sure. but was wondering what kinda resale value this old girl has?

2. I had a bass for a few years that had the label "Herold Jaeger". It was also Czech. It had a very clear, crisp sound that was very present. It didn't have the deepest bottom, but it was never nasal or muddy, so it was a very very usable instrument. It was great for chamber orchestra work. These instruments I would imagine are similair to a number of the Czech John Juzek instruments of the same time period, however I don't think they would carry the same resale of a Juzek because the name is a bit more obscure. Mine was a great bass, and I would have never sold it for less than $6,500. Right after the New Year I traded my Jaeger and my Kay in for a German bass from around the turn of the Century. I tried to do a similair search a few years ago when I got my Jaeger, and when speaking with older luthiers they were familiar with the name and thought they were very reasonable instruments. If I were you I would only buy this instrument to play. Most people (like yourself) probably haven't heard of it. That being said, $3,500 could turn out to be a great price if it's in good health.

Best of Luck,
    Chris Conte

3. thanks for the info. this definitely sounds like the same bass. having only had the opportunity to try it out pizz., i can't really describe the sound accurately, but i know what you mean about not having the biggest bottom end. that said, the highs were sweet and very nice mids. this thing is definitely a player. very easy in thumb position. just really really comfortable like an old pair of tennis shoes. and it totally beat the $6500 Juzek sitting next to it. BUT, you can tell it's been played, ALOT. guess that's why it's so cheap. i really don't think there are any serious structural problems though. i'd never sell my main bass, but i'd really love to have this one too. man, my wife will kill me...

4. thanks for the link. it's very interesting that edgar has or had a jaeger! especially since i live in knoxville, tennessee. because edgar and his father were from here. and his father actually taught my teacher who now teaches at the university of tennessee. and this bass has a big scuff on the shoulder like the description in the link. i'm starting to get sidetracked and daydream, but regardless, this thing sounds great, and plays great. i just need to buy it, and research the history later. thanks again

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Yeah, if you find out it was Edgar's before you buy it it'll double in price! My friend Paul Nowinski had a Jaegar for a long time-very nice bass. We called it the Jaegarmeister.

6. almal

almal

Aug 28, 2006
    brooklyn
    i know this is an old forum but i wanted to add to it. I just picked up a fully plywood harold jaeger from 1934. it sounds so good that I literally didn't believe my eyes even though I saw the wood chipping in spots the same way old Kay's do. it plays great and sounds awesome. it seems like the rest of these are carved, so i'm wondering if there are any other plywood jaeger's out there...