Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ibanizian, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Hi guys

It's been a while that i haven't post a topic, but it's great to be back. I read a couple of them and i found some interesting points. So here i go

I recently discover the 3 guys i have named in my thread's title, i.e. Steve Harris, Geddy Lee and Gene Simmons. Unfortunately, i don't know that much of Iron Maiden, Rush and Kiss, so i need little help. I'm looking for 2 or 3 songs of each bands including great bass lines. Any suggestions?

2. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX

For Harris I'd say my favorite line would be either Murders in the Rue Morgue or Wrathchild (I like old Maiden best hehe). Of course ya could go with Flight of Icarus, The Trooper, Number of the Beast etc., but the first 2 are my personal favorites to play.

Geddy Lee....he's got so many great, fun lines...maybe YYZ or The Trees? Red Barchetta (sp?) is a good one too!

Gene Simmons! Best line he's ever played (IMHO) is the one to Detroit Rock City. Most others are kinda boring if ya ask me ;)

Hope that helps!
  3. Yeah man thanks a lot!!!

and i agree with you concerning Simmons, the only cool bass line i have heard from him so far is the one from detroit rock city
  4. There are lots of great KISS bass lines:

Love Gun
    Watchin' You
    Hard Luck Woman
    Sure Know Something (although that might have been a session player on that)
  5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    For Steve Harris I've always liked - Run to the Hills, Revelations, and Hallowed Be Thy Name

For Geddy my fav's are - Xanadu, Half The World, and By-Tor and the Snow Dog.

Simmons - Sorry, I never liked Kiss enough to know much of their songs.
  6. zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    I don't know that much Kiss of Iron Maiden, but The Clairvoent(sp) is a great tune.

As for Rush....:D ....some of my favorites are Red Barchetta, A Farewell To Kings, Show Don't Tell, Freewill, Freeze, The Stars Look Down, The Speed Of Love, Half The World, Here Again, etc....:D I could go on and on.
  7. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    For Geddy, I love Vital Signs, from Moving Pictures. Very "unique" bass line !!!!

8. Jeff Doe

Jeff Doe Guest

Jan 11, 2003
    Harris- I am such a Maiden fanatic, it is kind of hard to narrow it down. "Wrathchild" from the Killers Album is a definite. "Children of the damned", "Hallowed be thy name", and "Number of the Beast" from number of the beast. "Where Eagles dare", "Revelataions", "Flight of Icarus", and "The Trooper" from Piece of Mind. And "Aces High", "2 minutes to midnight" and "Powerslave" from Powerslave are some of my favorites.

Geddy Lee; "Temple of the Syrinx", "Tom Sawyer", "Red Barchetta", and "Spirit of the radio" are some by Rush I like.

Lastly; Gene had good riffs in Kiss, it's just doubtful he played many of them. But-"Calling Dr. Love", "Detroit Rock City", "Deuce", "She", and "Got to choose" are great songs w/ good, strong basslines...even if it was a session player.

Jeff Doe
  9. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    For me, there would be too many to list for Geddy and Harris. Both inspired to me to pick up the bass, and I still admire them both to this day. I don't have much exposure to Kiss, so I'll withhold comment on Simmons.
  10. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Harris is the greatest heavy metal player of all time. I agree with the others...you will hear his best lines on the older ablums. Go out and get them all!! Here they are:

Iron Maiden
    Number of the Beast
    Piece of Mind
  11. Alyn

Dec 19, 2002
    While we're on the topic of Iron Maiden, anyone got the tab for "The Clansman"? I can't find it, I've got a rough idea of how to play it but I wanna check it coz I'm not compleatly sure of part of it.
  12. gus

Dec 31, 2001
    Madrid (Spain)
    You will find the best Harris bass lines in "Fly of Icarus" (piece of mind), "2 minutes to midnight", "PowerSlave" (powerslave),"Wasted Years" (Stanger in a strange land), "Infinite Dreams" (7th son of a 7th son), and "Sanctuary"

enjoy it

13. martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    I have no idea how old this thread is, but I feel that I just have to reply.

I think that Steve Harris had his best and most inventive playing on "Piece of Mind" which was their 4th album? I think if you check out the song "To Tame a land" you'll find some really good rhythm and a goofy middle section that I've never been able to figure out.

Steve Harris inspired me to play bass, and this album was probably pivitol

14. check out Segovia's "The legend"- that fast repeating bit in the middle of "to tame a land" bears a striking similarity to it...
    or is it a Bach piece?

other notable Harris basslines- "rime of the ancient mariner" , "phantom of the opera", "losfer words", "genghis khan" (spot the riff Papa Roach nicked) "aces high".
  15. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You are right on buddy! I've got some friends on this thread.

Also, I've been listening to nothing but Killers in my car for last week. Now THERE's some f$#%ing bass playing!
  16. I'm gonna have to go with Working Man for Geddy. He keeps a great groove under all that soloing, and the bass break before it jumps into the guitar solo is perfect.
  17. If you don't start drooling after listening to Rush's YYZ, then you're not the drooling type...:D

As I said,

Geedy Lee = YYZ. He is one of a kind. All of his bass lines are amazing. Another one could be Working Man.
    Steve Harris = I don't know, uhm, Powerslave and Hallowed Be Thy Name. Those are my choices. He is a fantastic bassist.
    Kiss = Sorry, don't know anything about them.
  18. Steve Harris and Geddy Lee are two of my biggest idols...and John Myung...they pretty much all fuel my bass fire.
  19. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    For some good KISS bass lines, check out the 1st KISS album. (I don't know if Simmons wrote the lines or not.) Two of my favorites are Black Diamond and 100,000 Years.
  20. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Geddy Lee and Steve Harris are two of my favorite bassists. I never did take a liking to Kiss, could never understand what the big deal was.

Geddy is my fave, personally I don't think you could pick-up any Rush recording and be disappointed with the bass playing. Geddy has a fantastic ability to keep the bass line fresh thru any song, from start to finish. His bass lines are never stagnant.

A couple of other songs to check out are:
    Cindrella Man (from A Farewell to Kings)
    Show Don't Tell (from Presto)
    Alien Shore (from Counterparts)
    Vital Signs (from Moving Pictures)
    Turn the Page (from Hold Your Fire)
    Something for Nothing (from 2112)

As for Harris I'm a big fan of anything from the first album, Iron Maiden, to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.