Harris Signature Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WickedEarth, Jul 22, 2001.

1. WickedEarth

Jul 20, 2001
    Has anyone bought the "Harris" sig P-Bass yet?
    I played one yesterday and they are awesome
    Well maybe thats just because Steve is my fav bassist

Either way 550 is a really good price for it
    I just wanted to know what some of you think before I go get it
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Where did you play it?
  3. Couldn't possibly have anything in West Ham colours :).
  4. RAIHL

RAIHL Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    What manufacturer and model of bass was it?
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  6. I really like the looks of that bass-except for the pickguard. Maybe it looks alright in person. Does anyone know if that price includes a gig bag?

Just checked the link and it says no.. :(
  7. in the review of the bass in Guitarist mag it says that it has vintage (ie. narrow) frets....surely the P basses Harris uses all have jumbo frets, especially the 70's ones?
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    According to the Fender website,it has 20 medium jumbo frets.

Maybe the staff at a geetar mag doesnt know the difference :D

Something else I noticed-
    As near as I can tell from the specs on the website,the Bass is strung with roundwounds.I always thought that Harris used flats.In fact,I remember reading somewhere that Rotosound offers a Steve Harris signature flatwound.I would have thought that this Bass would be strung with those.
  9. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    i want one im lookin for a new bass and ive noticed alot of people record with maple neck p basses (plus i like the sound and look myself) so if im looking at those why not go for one of my favortie bassist sig modle where do you find them and how much are they
  10. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Wow, he used FLATS? That's a revelation for me, I would never have guessed flats could sound like that.

Though I play stainless rounds exclusively, I have also played TI flats in the past. Based on that experience, I can't imagine getting a 'Harris' sound out of them.
  11. Yea seamus he used Flats pretty shocking huh?
    I know it shocked me.
  12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep. Harris uses flats. Of course, his Signature flats and TI Jazz Flats don't have a whole lot in common. I think his set is .050-.110, and I know the TI E string is a .089. The Harris strings are also brighter than most flats, and I'm pretty sure he changes his strings before every show, too.

I think Fender's reasoning on shipping the bass with Rounds is that people are more likely to give it a try with roundwounds, and they are probably right. I know if I picked one up, I wouldn't even play it with the rounds--those suckers would be yanked and replaced with the Rotosounds before it was even plugged in.

I swore I'd never buy another bass "off the rack," as it were, but, then, again, I never thought I'd be able to get a Steve Harris signature bass with a little Eddie Head on the headstock, either....

I also happen to know of a store that I can get Fender gear for 45% off list--same place I got my MIA 75 Reissue. Must.....fight......GAS.......
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've seen Maiden about 5 times, seen countless video's & hve not to my recolection remember him playing anything but 70's Fender's. I have NEVER EVER seen him use a red mirrored p/g.

If there gonna do it they should do it right like the Geddy Lee & Marcus Miller. :(
  14. the Guitarist review says the frets are as narrow as on vintage P basses, and they look narrow in the pic- definitely much narrower than the frets on Harris's basses.

and the specs say the neck is 44.5mm wide- ie. 57 reissue dimensions.
    surely they should be 43mm-odd as on the 70's ones?

also, the trussrod access looks like it's at the headstock- but that's not 50's, 60's or 70's- admittedly more convenient though.

they should have taken the 70's reissue P bass as the starting point (Harris says that the heavier, the better regarding the body of the bass and the result on the sound- so why a basswood body and not alder or ash?).
  15. It's great to see that I'm not the only one who is an 'Arry freak here. But let's make something clear I'm the fan number one here OK? :D OK, just joking...

Well his signature series strings are Rotosound SH77 "Steve Harris Custom Flatwound" Long Scale Standard Gauge with 50, 75, 95, 110. Where do I know, well I'm holding one package in my hands that I ordered from Rotosound web page (they were very helpful with my order, www.rotosound.com)

About his bass: the new white precision with West Ham logo that he is using now is not other than the blue one he used before (on Powerslave, Somewhere in time, Seventh son...) as he had some parts changed and re-finished in white. He played other basses than Fender Precision, I'm sure at least one, once Lado (a canadian manufacturer, www.lado-guitars.com ) has tried to build a Harris signature series long time ago (but they couldn't), you can see that bass on "2 minutes to midnight" video and a photo with a different bass (I'm not sure if it's the Lado or another manufacturer's) on "What Are We Doing This For?" book by Ross Halfin (the photographer) page 53.

Up the 'Arry!
  16. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Anyone know the difference between SH77's and 77LE .50's?
  17. Is the Lado bass the one with a PJ p/up config and a 2+2 headstock?

or was it the one with a pointy 4 in line headstock?

also in the trailer for an Iron Maiden concert video he's playing a Gibson Thunderbird in blue metallic on Aces High. ("the sound I got with the Thunderbird was just 'orrible!")

I think the metal composition of Harris' sig strings differs from the regular Roto Jazz flats- Monel as opposed to Chrome Iron or something- they said something about it in Bassist mag a while ago.

I used to use Roto Jazz flats in the same 50-110 gauge (by accident- when starting out on bass I just wanted a deep dubby sound, and didn't like the feel of roundwounds, and rang up Rotosound to see what flatwound sets they did.
    when they arrived I was shocked and confused to get this metallic clangy sound out of them.......
    I got to like that sound, and prefer it, but each set went dead very quickly.
    Then I found out in UK's The Guitar Magazine (Steve Harris on the cover) that he used them.

I stuck with them for a year or so (very hard on the plucking fingertips for a beginning bassist), then switched to regular Roto Swing Bass roundwounds, as I got fed up of practically having to boil the flats after every time I played them to get the brightness back...
  18. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    Here is a photo:
  19. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    here is another
  20. here's one for sale= apparently one that Harris used on the Somewhere in Time tour-