Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince *Possible Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    OK... so. Me and wrong robot have been talking about the book and all its glory and stuff. And we can't be the only two here that have read it.

Snape kills Dumbledore, obviously, but did he do it with malicious intent? Could it have been that he and snape had agreed that if that situation arises, snape would kill him to prove his loyalty to Voldemort, thus allowing him to be the perfect double agent for the order? I'm thoroughly convinced that snape does hate harry, and that is why snape fought back in the scuffle on the lawn... So even though he doesn't like harry, he can refrain from hurting him to achieve the greater good?

Harry is horcrux 7? I don't buy it.

Emma Watson will be a total babe by movie 7? totally.
  2. It makes sense, but there is the next book that we are waitin for and there is the possiblity that he isn't. Dumbledore and Harry have obviously been wrong before...

3. burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    I'm thinking of getting this, just to see what happens, though I don't mind it being spoilt, so - who/what is horcrux 7 that Harry is? Also, who is the Half Blood Prince?
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Snape is the Half-blood prince. A horcrux is where someone splits their soul and puts it into another object. Supposedly Voldemort did it 7 times, but they could only think of 6 possible horcruxes.

I don't think so about the horcrux, but whatever. I do think Snape is bad, but will repent/see the light in his dying moment to save Harry. But that might be too "textbook."

5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was thinking that too about Dumbledore telling Snape to kill him to achieve a greater end. Dumbledore had some reason for utterly trusting Snape.

brad cook
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

It's harry potter though. These books are so popular because they fall into the textbook formulas really well, they are easy to read and they are immediately satisfying on a superficial/surface level... literary candy. I wouldn't put it past rowling to take some liberties here and there within conventional story arcs, but on the whole I think it is pretty predictable what is going to happen in the next book(out of like 3 or 4 different scenarios)

Rowling isn't, and shouldn't be re-inventing the wheel here, she's simply writing a fun story that is easy to get behind.
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, let's just say that I don't think it's simply a coincidence that Dumbledore had a pet phoenix....
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i dunno... seems to me like dumbledore's gone, and i don't think ms. rowling wants to turn the wizard into an obi-wan character. :meh:

sirius, on the other hand... ;)

anyone else think that remulus black is "RAB"?

and i don't want to speculate about the nature of snape--if i pick a side, i'll only set myself up for disappointment by the time book 7 comes out.

i would also like to say that this harry potter was the least irritating of them all. snape's pestering was at a minimum; the dursleys were in it for like...what, half a chapter? dolores was in it for a paragraph; cornelius fudge was politically impotent.

anyone else think that this horcrux business is reminiscent of the splitting of the triforce piece in the first zelda? potter vs. link! :hyper:
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    there doesnt need to be a 7th horcrux.

7 is the magic number.

6 horcruxes + voldemort = seven seperate pieces of his soul.
  10. The thing that bugs me is... Snape can't be the Half-blood Prince. Snape went to school with Harry's dad(same year iirc), and Harry determined that it wasn't his father because the bokk was to old to be his father's, therefore Snape can't be the Half-Blood Prince. I think the HBP is really Voldemort.

Another thing, anyone have any speculation as to who the mystery character that found the Horcrux is? It's either someone who Voldemort trusted very much, and told them about it. Or it's someone who worked very high up in the Ministry and had access to all the necesary information.

Am I speculating too much for this series?
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Um. Dude... Snape was the half blood prince for this reason:

His mom's last name was prince. She was a pure-blood... His father was either a muggle or a mudblood... Thus "Half-Blood Prince" because he is half pure, half muggle... or half prince half whatever his fathers name was.
  12. Voldemort also fits that category of being a "half-blood", and your answer still doesn't explain why the book was older than it should have been, unless it was just a stupid plot error.

Edit: Maybe I should write my college app essay on this....

Also, anyone else think that maybe the Horcruxes were created after the deaths ghost thingys that came out of his wand in the fourth book, I forgot how many there were.
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Voldemort's mother wasn't named Prince :p

14. Yes, but Voldemort does have a huge ego. making it a very viable option for him to choose a title such as Prince for himself.
  15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Second hand book.
  16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Does anyone else think that the whole "lord voldemort' name thing is really geeky?

I mean, The kid's named Tom Marvolo Riddle, and via permuting his name, he comes up with "I am Lord Voldemort" I mean, come on, at least have voldemort mean something cool like "rod of awesome" or "nachoyum" in some ancient druid language or something.

Dumbledore is dead, but still, he's got that fully animated and for all intents and purposes, 'alive' portrait of him in his office now. So, perhaps that will be providing harry with some advice from time to time. Though Harry did make a big spat about going alone, he's still a puss.
  17. Rowling is an amazingly good author of fun, inventive stories.

At the heart, she is a storyteller

(I haven't read the latest, but she was asked to write for the new Doctor Who series - big props in my book!)

In sci-fi/fantasy, anything can happen and JK has also said that the next book will contain some very bizarre revelations that will throw new light onto the previous ones.

Am I right in thinking that I heard the next HP book is the last?
  18. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

it is latin-ish for "return from the dead."

that's pretty cool, i think.
  19. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

that's true--she has always planned on writing only seven books about harry potter.
  20. Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Pardon my French. ;)

Doesn't "vol-de-mort" mean "flight of death"? :cool: