Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 5, 2004.

1. I saw the third Harry Potter movie today, and I thought it was awful. The last half-hour or so was fairly interesting, but I honesty cannot remember what happened before that. It was one of those movies that makes you think "where did the plot go?" I'm not really sure how to describe it, but it was rather awful just from this fact. I'm not going to go into the other reasons why I thought that it was very sub-par--this will do it for me. It was a 30 minute movie spanned over 2 hours. This constitutes a very poor film, in my opinion.

You'd think from reading this that I'm a very strict critic that is very hard to please. I'm actually quite the opposite and enjoy many of the movies that the professionsals shoot down. I enjoy most movies I see, including the ones that recieve bad reviews. I don't know what the critics thought of this one, but I can actually say that I didn't like this movie.

What's your take on this? Do you see what I'm saying?

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    book > movie.

although i did think it had some superbly directed scenes. very well made, pity about the script.

3. Agreed. I didn't really care for the direction though. The other two movies where closer to the books than this third edition. Granted, the third book had much more going on than the first two, but I believe that there was definatly room for improvement.

Maybe the fourth will be better :hyper:

4. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    maybe, they cut so much out of the latest film though, it makes me apprehensive about the next ones :(

i'm afraid with the next two books being so very very long, that they're just going to keep cutting things out.

maybe they should have the fourth film in two parts, like kill bill.

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    The fourth book was my favorite of the 5.

I've hated all of the movies.

6. With as long as those books are, they will have to be in 2 parts.

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

No, they're targeting little kids really. Little kids that are too stupid to know the difference.

8. By that time Harry and the gang will be turning 21...

9. I've never read any of the books but I thought this movie was far far better than either of the first two. I liked the darker tone of it, and it actually had some forward momentum.

Altogether though I think the franchise is kinda weak.

I think they should just make movies about Professor Snape, Alan Rickman is so damn good that he steals every scene he appears in.

10. lol +1

11. jm1

jm1

Nov 12, 2003
    Saw the movie today.. and I liked it, for the most part. I agree on the whole dark atmosphere, and Snape does steal almost every scene he's in, except for at the end when ....er.... *ahem* never mind, don't want to spoil.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I just saw it, it wasn't bad, but I didn't really like how a lot of the scenes were set up, each scene was like it's own little world that felt kind of detached from other scenes, fine for someone who has read the book, but I could imagine it'd be a bit confusing if you haven't.

The cinematography was absolutely stellar though.