1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harsh, aggressive jazz bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by J03YW, Oct 27, 2013.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Hey guys, I need some jazz bass pickups that are very mid/treble heavy with responsive but not boomy lows. I really need a tight attack with lows that are always present but not overpowering, where it matters is in the cut. I need to overpower a guitarist who uses lots of low mids and lows, so I figure I should try to get as much treble/high mids as possible to fill it out, but some rounder lows never hurt anyone either. I'm checking out the DiMarzio Area J's right now, but I hear they're not too aggressive. Hum cancelling is preferable.

2. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Oh, and I'm most likely going to use these in conjunction with an Audere Preamp.

Stinga1990 likes this.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    are you gonna run one at a time, or leave them both cranked up? if the latter, than you don't need humbuckers; for aggressive and attacky, look at the duncan quarter pounders.

(especially with the audere pres, which can be set to sound like you have zero cable between the pickups and the amp, adding still more brightness.)

i myself like good vintage-type fender bass pickups (P or J) run passive, but with 500k pots to make them brighter and more aggressive. (if i want to go back to the old school i just dial the tone knob down a little.)

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Well, Aero Type 1's can be almost harsh sounding solo but that makes them very articulate in the mix. They have more lows than most jazz pickups though.

Nordstrands have a bump in the high mids and nice treble extension too. And there's always EMGs which I really like in the right application.

Curious to hear other people's recommendations.

5. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Pickups will help, but if you really want to pinpoint that tone, it's time to get yourself a good equalizer.

6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    You can try raising your bridge pickup closer to the strings. This will provide a sharper, more aggressive tone if you turn that pickup up in your balance. You can get the bridge pickup closer to the strings than the neck pickup without hitting the wolf tones, as the string is pretty taut at the bridge and less likely to be affected by magnetic pull.

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    do you already have the audere? the hi-z mode does a pretty good job at what youre describing already

8. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Dimarzio UltraJazz wired in series mode.
    If they are too beefy, wire parallel.

9. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Jan 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    These are all awesome ideas. I use a simple Boss Bass EQ pedal for songs that need that cut. But a geetar's low end might still be higher freq than your high end cut. Two things>
    the new SPB-4 Steve Harris has a nice high mid cut. (I use for that task) and also maybe just consider an active pre like an STC-2P so you can dial it in since this problemo can be a moving target of freq's depending on venues and song choices.

10. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I use Aero Type 1's and they work great in a rock/metal live mix with two loud guitars. No shortage of highs and mids, and I don't find the lows to be unduly dominant. I wouldn't call them "harsh" though.

11. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I dunno about putting the Audere and harsh in the same sentence, even on Hi-Z or Low-Z mode.. regardless of the pickups.

12. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member