Harsh treatment = tuning stability??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Claymore, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    So, I had a particular bass that sat in an uninsulated crawlspace for almost 6 years (I won't get into the details of why) and it endured everything from brutally hot 100+ Summers to -30 temperatures in the Winter. When I finally dug it out and started playing it again, I noticed that the tuning was remarkably stable... to the point where it can go almost a week without needing retuning and I have never needed to adjust the neck on it... EVER. For years, it has been rock-solid. All of my other basses require attention periodically, some more than others. I know people talk about when an instrument's neck "settles in". Is it possible that the wildly fluctuating conditions that it endured caused the neck to settle in to a ridiculous degree? I can't think of any other explanation. Maybe there's a luthier or two out there who could chime in on this. Could "weathered" necks be more stable or might there be other factors I'm not considering? Thanks in advance!

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021