1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke 10" buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by powerbilly, Jan 18, 2012.

1. powerbilly

powerbilly

Sep 5, 2007
    Greetings,
    What does it mean when my Hartke Transporter 410 cab has a buzz. It's about 15 years old. just recenly started to buzz. How do I check for a blown speaker?
    Thanks

2. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    How the heck did you blew a aluminium cone Hartke speaker?! those are damn tough xDD

But if you did, try listening to them, if only one buzzes than it's the speaker, if not than it's preamp :)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Transporters use paper cones.

You can take the grill off and GENTLY push around the dustcap of each speaker using even pressure. If you feel any rubbing when you do that, then the speaker's voice coil is fried. If not, then it's fine unless there's something else obviously wrong, like a tear in the cone.

Another thing to check out is how tightly they're screwed in. Sometimes screws work themselves loose over time and it can cause air leaks, which sound a lot like blown speakers. Don't overtighten, but go around and make sure all screws are snug.

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  4. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    khm .. my bad .. xD

5. lasher69

lasher69

Mar 1, 2011
    Amarillo Tx
    Beg to differ, hartke transporters were their more affordable cabs, with alluminum spkrs which have since been discontinued. i can attest to the transporter series blowing somewhat frequently having worked in a music store who sold them & often took back blown ones. Sorry to bear bad news. But I believe you are getting good advice on checking them out properly powerbilly.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Older Hartke speakers are notorious for having the center dust cover come partially unglued, creating a nasty buzzing "blown speaker" sound. All you have to do is put new adhesive securing the dust cover and you are good to go.

Years ago I had a 4.5XL and 2x15 Hartke cabs. EVERY SINGLE ONE of the drivers had the dust covers come partially unglued at one point or another. I think it may have to do with the way the adhesive adheres to the aluminum cone.

I'm not saying for certain your speakers aren't blown, just that you should check this out first.

7. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I have to agree here. I actually was lucky enough to pick up a cabinet locally for like $35 b/c the speaker was blown (1x15). I plugged in and sure enough, sounded horrid. After talking with several folks (including Larry) I found out that the dust cap was unglued. I picked up some gel super glue, and hit the edge of the dust cap all around, and it's PERFECT. You COULD do a nicer job than I did, but mine was a $3 - 10 minute repair that's working perfectly now.

Take a look at those dust caps, this is a NOTORIOUS issue.

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  8. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have 2 old 4x10TP's and just found another on CL for 40 bucks today because the guy said it was junk....nope 3 of the 4 dust covers were loose pulled em off and it works 100%. it will get glued this weekend sometime.

My second TP the previous owner did the same thing to all 4 of the speakers.

Funny thing the oldest TP of the 3 ( according to the serial ), was bought by me new that many years ago and has been gigged a ton but never had the caps unglue themselves.

9. Hi.

Not to my knowledge, the one I have is aluminium.

^This.

Cheaply made cabs regardless of the price or the manufacturer tend to work themselves loose over time.

^And this.

Both are relatively easy fixes, and the cab or the speaker is as good as new. IME anyway.

Regards
    Sam

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hmmm...I always thought the Transporters were paper cones. Oh well, never mind ;)

11. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    nope....aluminum ;)
    nd tough to see in this pic, but the bottom cab has black lines from the glue around the dust caps.

IMAG0866.

12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Is that Duct tape holding the dolly together?

13. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    yes. I stepped on it but it was still usable.
    Old picture before I made another one out of stronger parts and bigger wheels.