1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke 115 speaker replacement questions. Advise needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tewnty_two, Apr 16, 2010.

1. I've been reading up on speakers, cabs, ohms etc on this site and its been a little overwhelming. From what I gather the only way to get the best tone is to build a cab around a speaker. However I have a Hartke 115 combo that has a blown JES (can't find any info on this brand) 15" speaker and like many people, moneys real tight but I want to get her up and playing asap. I'm pretty sure Eminence is the way to go but I'm trying to stay at a $100 budget. I'm looking at the Legend CA154 or the Beta 15a, I dont know any other bass players to bounce ideas off of so my question to my fellow TB'ers is : what would you buy?
    heres the specs for the amp and cab

Hartke 3500 Mosfet
    350 W @ 4ohms
    240 W @ 8ohms

Cab
    1 15" Jes woofer
    1 5" Hartke
    outside deminsions
    23" H X 20.5" W X 16" D
    2 4" ports
    166ixde.

2. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I would estimate the net internal volume at about 2.8 cubic feet, but without knowing the port lengths I couldn't predict the tuning frequency.

The CA154 should play about 3 or 4 dB louder before fartout because of its greater linear excursion (5 mm vs 4 mm), so that would be my suggestion.

3. thanks for the reply
    I have the internal dimensions at
    21.5 H
    19.25 W
    13.5 D
    and port lengths at 2.5"
    if that helps at all

4. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Thanks for the dimensions. Looks like about 3 cubic feet net internal, and the tuning frequency looks fairly high to me: About 58 Hz.

If you have problems with fartout, I suggest replacing both ports with 4" PVC pipe cut to about five inches long. That would lower the tuning frequency to about 48 Hz and delay the onset of fartout, at the expense of about 1 dB of upper bass bumpage from about 70 Hz to 130 Hz.

5. sweet.
    Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna buy the speaker in a week so I'll let you know how it sounds. Thanks again for the knowledge!