Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 115 tp & 115B XL. Big Difference?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reel big bassist, Aug 22, 2000.

1. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Maryland
    Hey all,
    I was checking out 15'' cabs at
    bills music, and to my suprise I actually
    like hartke cabinets! I always thought
    the allumiun cone speakers would sound
    like crap, but they actually sound pretty
    good.

I was playing a hartke 115 tp. This cab
    is in their transporter series. The Transporter
    series is similar to swr's workingman series. Less expensive cabinets but supposebly the same quality.

When I got home from bills music,
    I went on hartke's website to check out
    the 115 tp's specs. It handles 150 watts
    @ 8 ohms. Its frequency response is from
    40 Hz to 2.5 kHz. The magnet weighs
    60 oz, and the voice coil is 2''. Its
    sensitivity is 96 db.

I also checked out the 115B XL, this cabinet
    is in their XL series. Their top of the line series.
    The specs were a little different.
    It handles 200 watts @ 8ohms. Its frequency
    response is from 30 Hz to 2.5 Khz.
    Its magnet weighs 100 oz, and it's voice
    coil is 3''. Its sensitivity is 98 db.

Has anyone compared these two cabinets.
    I was wondering if their is a big difference
    between the two cabinets. Their is about
    an $100 price difference. I know I have
    to compare the cabinets myself, but I don't have
    a lot of time because I'm working. So I was wondering
    if any of you guys have compared them.

Thanks a bunch,
    Greg P

2. Greg,
    Some bassists that I have spoken to seem to think Hartke cabs should sound crap before they've heard them. It seems that a few people, for unknown reasons, love knocking all Hartke gear. Glad you’ve seen the light though. :D

It costs more to produce the allumiun cone speakers and I don’t think Hartke would go through this exercise for unless they thought it improved durability and sound.
    I use XL 115 & XL110 cabs and love them, as do a number of Hi end name players.

I was told before I bought my XL’s that the TP series didn’t sound quite as solid and will not stand up to as much “on the road abuse”. Also they weigh about 2/3rds of the XL (which is not a bad thing) Basically they are a good semi pro cab.
    If you can afford it though, go for the XL. It's cheaper than upgrading later.

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I don't personally own any Hartke cabs so I can't comment from any personal experiences, but I've been told that the Transporter series uses pretty crappy materials for the cabinent and that the speaker itself isn't quite as nice as the XL series. For that small of a price difference, I'd go for the XL series any way.

4. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Maryland
    Hey WhiteKnight,

Who told you the Transporter series
    uses crappy materials. That worries
    me a little because if they use
    crappy materials on one series,
    what does that say about the other series.
    And what does that say about the company
    in general. Well they do have to cut
    corners somewhere to bring down the price,
    I don't know if the materials are crappy.
    Maybe just less quality.

As far as the sound of the transporter,
    I could be a little more articulate,
    but overall i really like it.
    I told the salesperson
    "this is too good" "I could make myself
    go deaf in front of this thing"

Thank you for your response
    I do appreciate it.

Thanks for the info,

Greg P

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I 've got a Hartke Transporter 1 X 15" and as far as I can see there is no difference in the speaker used in this and the XL. They look identical and I have tried many cabs like this in shops and the difference is hardly noticable to my ears, I would challenge anyone to tell in a blindfold test.

I can see that the cabinet on the XL is more rugged, but may main concern was weight - I can actually lift the TP on my own with no problems, but the XL is a no-no for me with a bad back. Also I don't intend to "mistreat" the cab - it just goes in the back of my car and I am the only one handling it - another benfit of the fact that it's so light. So ruggedness means nothing to me and I will keep it in pristine condition like all my other gear.

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Just from the specs you posted, if you're a five string player the xl will have better frequency response for you (down to 30 hz vs 40).

All companies have a deluxe line and a standard line. Just because they use "cheaper" (which I don't belive) materials in one line doesn't mean its the same for the other. You expect Jaguar seats in your Ford Fiesta? vice versa?

As an aside, I was watching Letterman for the first time in a while and just noticed Will Lee's rig....all Hartke.

7. Hum, at a local pawn shop they had a 115 TP for only $175, is it worth it? I think I can swindle them down to $150. I just need to get a cheap head and I could have a 100-150 watt stack.

8. Several years ago I was faced with the same delimma, TP or XL series for a 1x15 extension cab...

I made my decision to spend a little extra $$$ on the XL based on the following:

100oz. magnet

200w power rating (which IMHO must be a conservative rating)

Frequency response down to 30hz (open 'B'string)

I was tight on cash at the time and kept my eyes open for used Hartke gear....ended up with a 1yr. old XL 1X15 cab for $280.00 +tx. sounded sweet then and still sounds sweet today!!

Good Luck!

9. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey, just telling you what I've been told. BTW, crappy was the wrong word, I meant to say cheaper. The materials aren't crappy (as far as I know) but they aren't quite as good as in the XL series.

Also, definitely take what Bruce said into consideration: it may all depend on how you're going to treat it. For example: though I'd get the XL in this case, I would probably be just fine with the TP because I treat my gear extremely well. Just something to think about.

10. Alan Williams

Alan Williams

Dec 23, 2009
    I play a five string Alembic Epic thru a Transporter 115 driven by an old 65 model Bassman head boosted to 100 watts. My driver is paper rather than aluminum cone, I've not opened it up so I don't know what speaker it is. It sounds great . I think I paid $200 for the cab. I think the quality of the cabinet is fine.

11. Man, if I had to choose between those two there's no way I'd pass up the xl. A very small price to pay for a vast difference in specs.

12. mattbond007

mattbond007

May 29, 2013
    I have a Hartke Transporter 115 and I would have to say I'm pretty impressed with the performance that I get from this cabinet. I am waaaaay overpowering it with a Peavey Tour 700 head. At 8 ohms the amp puts out 500 watts rms to the speaker. I generally run it between half and three quarter volume and punish that poor 15 with a 5 string for about 8 to 10 hours a week. I haven't had any trouble out of it and it sounds great. I do see that longevity will be an issue, but I really dont care. It was cheap ($75.00 at a garage sale) and I plan on replacing it with a four 12" Mesa at some point. I really do not see how this cabinet/speaker is holding together due to overpowering, but it is. Kudos to Hartke for providing a value cabinet that can take a flogging!

13. I've been playing Hartke gear on and off for the last 20 years or so. I've owned everything except the paper cone cabs. Currently I'm playing through two 4x10 Hydrive cabs and I couldn't be happier with their tone or versatility (not to mention tons and tons of sheer, unadulterated power and volume). If I had the coin to drop on the Kilo...my hammer and my piggy bank would have a meet and greet.

I'm not aware of your age; but, many of us who've been around for a while remember when the entire Squire brand was little more than firewood wearing frets. That of course, is simply not the case today.

I'll throw this little bit into the ring. There were some perceived quality issues with the Transporter series many many moons ago. Under-educated, part time guitar retailer employees were indoctrinated with a stigma for the line, which for some reason, still exists today (in some degree). Some grills rattled, a side handle broke here and there, a speaker basket was loose (blah, blah, blah). These issues were indictive to the exact same issues other amp/cab brands were dealing with as well. However...since the Transporter Series were budget priced; the guitar store, part-time talking heads gave them a bad rap.

Here's the skinny. The Transporter Series (IMO) is a solid bass cab line which would be a great starting point for a bassist looking to move out of the combo amp areana. Pair it with an appropriately powered head and you're in business. Personally, I'd lean towards the XL series if you're gonna be beating a 5 string. Larry Hartke makes a great product and stands behind the gear with his name on it.

Just my $.02.

14. I agree with Lost in Sauce... As a long time Hartke owner/operator, I have never been dissapointed with any hartke product. If you can swing the difference, go with the XL, you won't be sorry!

15. My first bass cab was a hartke 410tp. If you're a 4 string player, it'll be fine. I later got the 410 XL and I noticed a significant improvement! Both are good cabinets, but the XL wins every time.

16. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    This is the zombie thread that will not die! Did any of you notice it got brought back once after 9 years dead and now back again 4 years after that?

17. Broham

Broham

Oct 19, 2013
    USA
    I am not a paid endorser for any product or company. It's just my opinion.
    ...and 8 months after that! ;-)

This is a timeless type of thread. As long as there is someone out there considering a used Hartke Transporter vs. a used Hartke XL cab the responses will always be relevant and useful. That is how I ended up here. :)

I currently have the HA5500 head running through two VX410 paper cone cabs and I've been thinking of picking up a used 115 VX, TP or XL to mix and match (and quiet my Gas pangs).

Jack Bruce used a pair of VX810's combined with a pair of XL115's for Cream's Albert Hall reunion show a few years back and I was thinking of trying a similar but smaller setup with a VX410 top and XL115 or TP115 on the bottom. Anybody try this?

18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    why would anybody bother with the old, heavy and under-powered XL or TP when their new hydrive stuff smokes them both?

19. Broham

Broham

Oct 19, 2013
    USA
    I am not a paid endorser for any product or company. It's just my opinion.
    The reason is $$$, of course. You must be rolling like the motorcycle money man if that didn't even cross your mind. When your budget maxes out at $200, a Hydrive is not really an option.