1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke 115XL vs. 4 Eminence Delta 10-A's in a mystery cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ghost Signal, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hello folks. I came across a 4x10 cab loaded with Eminence Delta 10-A's on Craigslist and I'm looking for advice on whether or not I should sacrifice my Hartke 115XL cab for it.

I don't have much info on the 4x10 cab itself. It's claimed to be American Audio brand, but I can't find anything online about it. I'm asking advice because this is a one-or-the-other kind of deal. If I want the 4x10, I have to sell 115, and there won't be any return policy on either. Here's the link to the cab: Bass Cab loaded with 4 - 10" Eminence Delta 10a Speakers

If this helps at all, my bass is a 92' Fender Jazz Plus V with active EMG's and my head is a Peavey Firebass 700.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Delta 10s are mediocre bass drivers.

3. That's what I keep reading from the vets on here, but reviews elsewhere paint them with a much prettier brush. I'm a freaking moron when it comes to the physics of speaker and cab design which is why I'm asking the experts, but would 4 10's really be worse than the single 15?

4. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    The Hartke 15 is the only driver I've ever blown way back in my 4x10 and 1x15 XL stack days. The 15 won't like the power you have there as a standalone cab, and it didn't much care for C tuning on a four banger to be honest. I'd take the 4x10 if it's one or the other, you've got EQ to fix some of the response issues it may have and the volume difference will be no contest.

5. The Hartke 15 doesn't like the power or the low B (I already own this cab) at more than moderate volume, but it does have decent low end. I figured the 4 10's would be significantly louder considering the response on the Eminences, but I'd hate to lose any rumble in the process.

If it helps at all, I'm poor and take what I can get. So in this case, I'm wanting the one that could hold its own alone with the Firebass, but could still be added to later on in order to overcome any deficiencies.

6. The mystery cab worries me as well. I bought a used 4x10 before hoping they could out-perform the 115 and was sorely disappointed. I suppose my best bet would be to load up my bass and head and go plug in to see how it sounds but even then I'd be worried about the lifespan on the Eminences. At the very least, the Hartke has taken everything I've ever thrown at it and never suffered any damage.

7. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    There's no way a single 15 has more going on than four 10s. The Deltas are nice speakers with strong midbass, just not perfect.

I would certainly try the 4x10 cab out.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The issue is the delta's don't have much excursion compared to what's pretty standard in a 410 nowdays. Some of that is remedied by simply using 4 of them as opposed to the one speaker in your 15 but your amp may still find their limits. It would almost certainly play louder than your 15 but may not have anymore bass than you have now. It's overall tone may sound a little thinner or more midrangey than you're used to because it's mids can play louder but it's lows can't. Wouldn't hurt to go plug in and see what you think but don't expect a big jump in performance or anything. Take your whole rig along so you can compare the two side by side.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Looking back at the ad, it's worth $100. The guy's obviously more concerned with looks than sound, hence the delta's and the rope lights. I'd go give it a listen. Should be able to scrape up $100 without selling your current speaker, no? Sell off some video games or something else useless like that.