Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 2.5 XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Balor, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    As anyone thried this little cab? I've tried it with a Cirrus 6 and it seemed to handle the B relatively well. Any other suggestions for a small cab that could handle a 6 or more?

thanks
    PL

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    eden xst...acme low b-2...these are two beasts that come to mind that come in a small box. i've played the hartkes and i own an ancient 410xl, and i love the sound i get out of it. i like the sound i get from 2 4.5xl's better, though :D

3. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I should add that I'm on small budget! The 2.5xl is in the upper limit of what I can affort. I think that eden is a bit out of the question...:(.
    thanks for the info
    PL

4. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I just check the Acme web site. Very interesting stuff! I know you seem to prefer de B-2, but how about B-1? Any comments?

thanks again
    PL

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    never tried the b-1. interesting specs, though.

6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Having previously owned both the 2.5XL and Acme Low B-2, I can say that my personal preference is the Aguilar GS 112. The 2.5xl weighed a ton and sounded "ok", the Acme sounded wonderful but had trouble being heard (93db). The Aguilar sounds fantastic, is light weight, relatively affordable and will shake the walls. I use two of them now instead of a 4x10 + 2x10 set up that I used to haul around. Just my two cents.
    By the way, I play Cirrus 6ers (fretted and fretless).

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    right on...i've been looking to check out a cab w/ 12's...i've got an eden 1x15 xlt that's a little muddy for my taste, that i use under my eden metro 2x10. i'm really wanting to check out the new aggy 4x12...that would be the bomb! or maybe 2 aggy 2x12's. that would give me 2 tweeters vice 1.

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I logged alot of gig-miles on my Hartke 2.5 XL, used with a G-K 400RBIII.
    Always sounded tight, never had any problems with either.
    I don't use a low B so I can't testify to that, but I can't see any problems with the cabinet handling it-it's frequency rating is low enough.
    I liked the 5" driver rather than a horn-more definition and clarity in the punch & attack-
    All in all, a good quality cabinet for the price.

9. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I used to use a 2.5XL with my Ampeg SVT400T. It was a great cabinet, 5" tweeter plus slot port in the front. It handle a low B pretty well, but it would fart out at high SPLs.

I really like the Hartke sound, though. It was a nice little cab, but I found it easier to roll a 4x10 than carry a 2x10.

-Shin

10. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    If you had the choice between the 2.5 xl, a Genz-Benz 210T-XB2 or an Acme Low B-1 what would you choose? There all about the same price (give or take a 100 bucks).

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would get the genz-benz

12. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Realy?
    I did read somewhere that it had a very nice high end, but it seems shy on the lows. I'll have to give it good try.
    thanks
    PL

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    with the 2.5xl in a very close second... ;) i think the genz cabs handle the low b quite well...

14. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    While looking this forum, I've stumbled upon Avatar comments. I looked at through there website and found a very affortable solution. The big question still remains: how do they sound like?

The B112 seems very interesting, but can it handle the low B. I've checked Eminence's website for the spec of te speaker and this unit seems more suited for my use than there 210. Are those spec painting an acquirate picture of the cabs?

I'm still not really sure which way to go. But the price of those unit is a big argument...

thanks for the feedback it's really appreciated
    PL

15. Trying to explain in words how something sounds is a lot like trying to explain to someone "how to ride a bike", you just have to try one for yourself and see if you like it. Hartke has a distinctive sound. I've used a 4.5XL for the past 6 years. I've recently been using a SWR triad. Last week I switched back to the Hartke. It had more clarity, more low end, and needed about 1/2 the power as the Triad. If the 2.5XL is anything like the 4.5XL, I know that I would love it, but, I don't know about you......:D

16. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I know it's a very subjective matter, but it still helps to know what others rank a product. a comparative ranking is always more useful, but impression are good as well.

As stated above, I've tried de 2.5xl (tho not with my bass...) and it sounded very nice, lots of punch, very clear, but a bit of a high price here in Montreal. That's high I'm still searching for different options.

thanks for the info
    PL