Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 2000 Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John K., May 2, 2002.

1. I was looking at the instruction manual for the hartke and I was wondering if you could use the Effects Return as a Power Amp In? Thanks

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i asked this very same question just a couple of days ago.
    yes you can! i even have the same hartke!

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Which 2000 are you talking about? I only have speaker-outs on the back of mine.

4. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I do not own the Hartke but I have done this with my combo amp. Yes, you can use the effects loop in as a power amp input (preamp input...?).

I had the input jack on my combo amp cause an intermittent signal while I was playing at church. I plugged my Sansamp Bass Driver into the effects loop return and used the Sansamp as the preamp. Basically, alot of amps have the effects loop return last in the signal chain before the poweramp and therefore you can use the effects loop return to bypass the preamp in the amp. Some amps have the effects loop in parallel to the preamp signal and others have the effects loop in series. It your amp has the preamp in series then you may experience some hum/noise. Try turning the gain on the amp's preamp all the way down to decrease the signal gain from the preamp and adjust the effects loop return signal as needed. Even though you are not plugged into the Amp-Preamp you still may get some line level noise.

I used this only to get by when I had a problem with my preamp. If you are using this procedure as a permanent "Tone Fix" then chances are that you are using the wrong amp for your taste. You may want to look into trading/selling your amp for something more pleasing to your ears.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my 2000 isn't that old. not even a year. i have effects send and return loop. well i guess that is why they call it a loop