Hartke 2000 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Invader.Gir, Sep 27, 2005.

1. i'm trying to put together something bigger than my combo amp "ibanez 65". the hartke head i can get for $175 and most places i have seen them for sale go for over $300. i don't know too much about this brand but a 200w amp for a deal like that sounds good to me, if it matters it'll be pushing a 2x12 cab, not sure on brand yet still shopping for it. but i'd appreciate any info on this head and any experience with it. thnx
  2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    How about this?

100 more watts for about $50 more?

Click here.

or this?

250 more watts for about $25 more?

Click here.

But if all you have is $175 and there is no way in heck you can get more, that is a fair price for the Hartke head (I am assuming it is the HA2000?).

3. Search for this head on the board, there are a few posts about the head not working out very well. I had an HA2000 (the style previous to the current model) and it went out on me. I've also read that the compressor often goes out.
  4. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Having played both of those, the HA2000 is way better than both of those. I own a HA3500, it's a nice amp, plenty of options and mine's been fully reliable. Hartke are out of fashion on TB at the moment, many people are negative about them just to go with the flow. Seems a good price to me, can't think of anything to rival it at the price, go for it. It aint gonna be the amp to end all amps but mine handles gigging and jamming nicely and is well built. In the future I'll trade up to something pricier (Tech Soundsystems cabs most probably) but I'll hold on to my HA3500, imho it is unbeatable for the money. However, play it first, it's not for everyone, in particular the aluminium coned drivers are a matter of taste.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.
  5. fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    I have the HA -7000 and i love it. Im only running half of it into an Avatar 210 neo, and it sounds great. I was actually looking to get a 3500, but I got the 7 for a killer deal. I thought about the 2000, but the lack of lighted knobs got me. So consider the 2500. They are great amps, regardless of alot of the people on here bashing them just because they spent 10X as much. One word of advice if you get it is the stock tube isnt that great. Replace the tube and she'll warm right up.

I dont think the 2000 has compression, but none of the compressors are any good (unless you get in their magical sweetspot, which invariably changes for some weird reason) in the hartke amps.

Best advice - go to a good music store and play, play, play. Plug it into a GK and play punk, rock, and funk. Then do the same into an ampeg, then a hartke cab. Do the same with another amp (for a different sound id recommend gk or ampeg). Have fun pissing everybody off in there. Truth is, nobody gives a **** about your tone but you, and the occasional fellow enthusiast. So, rock on :bassist:
  6. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yes it is rackmountable, rack ears and all the bolts come in the box. The 2000 has been replaced by the 2500 which is probably why you are getting a good deal on the 2000.
  7. yeah i figured that's why they were so cheap, it's on www.avatarspeakers.com and it comes out to $166 w/shipping, anybody have a backside pic of this thing?
  8. nvm i checked out the manual to the thing, thnx for all the help + info and unless anyone has nethign else to add i'm gonna take the plunge 2morrow
  9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I would go for it. I used a hartke Model 2000 as my main head for about 3 years. It always got the job done. Very rugged and reliable. The only things I will say are that the compressor sounds very unnatural, and that the fan can be pretty loud. $175 is a decent price, but if you are patient you could probably find one cheaper. I sold mine for 150 and I have seen them go on ebay regularly for as low as 130.
  10. I know you asked about the Hartke but I'll suggest, IMO, a better alternative. Look around ebay, the classified listings here, and anywhere else that sells used gear for a Peavey Firebass 700. The sound is on the same level if not better than Hartke, you can find them for $200, and it gives you 450 watts at 4ohms and 700watts at 2 ohms. Its a heavy SOB but I never worry about it dying and it's loud. I use mine with an Avatar B212LF and it keeps up with a loud drummer with too many cymbals, a 100watt Marshall halfstack, and a singer with a few hundred watts and 2 15" monitors. Used Peavey cabs can be found for very cheap as well. In fact, I could have gotten a 115BVX-BW, a 410TVX, and the Firebass 700 for a total of $600 if I had known better. Don't be afraid of used gear.
  11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    ^^^ I used to have a Peavey head years ago! Mk III. Never seemed to get what I wanted out of it though :( Oh well...

To (partly) answer the original question, I agree with the comments about Hartke seemingly having a bad rep on TB and the negative stuff doesn't match my own experience. I just don't believe everybody who criticises them has first hand knowledge of them (although I also acceptthat some of it must be based on actual fact - every manufacturer must have SOME genuine critics, right?).

I have two Hartke heads, a 5000 for bigger gigs (bi-amped through a 115 and either one or two 210s) and a 3000 for smaller (just through a 210). Both sound great, work great, do what I want and haven't let me down. I agree that the fan is loud on some Hartke heads, but you only notice when playing at home, on stage with a band it's simply isn't a problem (or even noticeable). If you like the sound of the Hartke amp, I can recommend the make.