Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hartke 2000 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom wade, Oct 9, 2005.

1. tom wade

tom wade

Sep 23, 2005
    are they any good?

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Okay, to save you some possible grief, can you qualify "any good"?

Do you mean with respect to relative power, given its rating? Do you mean tone-wise and, if so, what kind of tone are you looking for? Do you mean features-wise and, if so, what features do you like in a head?

Also, what kind of setting are you wanting to use the head in? A rock band? Jazz band? Noodle around in living room? What kind of cab(s) are you planning to use in conjunction with it? What kind of basses?

As "yes" or "no" answer will tell you nothing. The more specific you are in terms of what you're looking for, the more specific the answers will be.

3. tom wade

tom wade

Sep 23, 2005
    yes, i'd like somethin loud. tone-wise, i think anything will be a step up form what i have now. feature-wise, i've never owned a bass head/amp, so i wouldn't really know. i'm not in a band, and i just noodle around in my room, but, i still want it loud enough to hear over my drums. as far as cab(s), i was lookin at some avatar cabs, and i'm still open for suggestions as to what speaker sizes i should get...i'd mostly play a fender jazz bass, or precision bass... and as far as style of music, i like to play any and everything....

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I used one of the old ones for a few years back in the early 90's...it was a good little head. I ended up upgrading to a Hartke 3500, which is close to the same thing with a bit more power.

I was finding that with the lows I wanted, and an 8ohm cab... I wasn't getting enough volume to compete with a 7 piece band. It was very sturdy and sounded decent though.

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    +1

That is the exact same experience I had with my Hartke 2000. Weird, huh?

6. tom wade

tom wade

Sep 23, 2005
    how much is the 3500

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd look for one of the older ones. The newer Hartkes have a different power stage that doesn't sound nearly as good as the older ones.

8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

+1

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    True. The older 3500, recognizeable by it's rackmount, slightly different model number and 'Mosfet' labeling tends to sound better and be a little sturdier.

I'd expect to pay around 300 bucks for one of the old ones in well-preserved condition.

10. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    They're good value for money and pretty flexible. Hartke cabs may or may not be to your taste, be sure to look around.