Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hartke 215 XL...comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by awesome, Sep 4, 2002.

1. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Saw this one secondhand at a good price, so I need your comments.

Is this cab meant to be used as a stand-alone or as a sub?
    I was told the 15" drivers of the TP-series were very poorly constructed, same for the XL?
    What does it sound like?

thanx,
    awesome

2. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i have a 2.5xl, and have no complaints. i mainly bought it as a practice rig, being that i don't like lugging the 4.5xl around. i play a mm5 through it and it handles the 'b' rather well. i imagine it would do well by itself for gigging purposes, although i use both the 4.5 and the 2.5 when gigging, so i couldn't comment specifically about that. as for the tp-series, i've stayed away from them because of the problems that i've heard associated with them. hope this helps some...

jdkh

3. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I think your mistaken, it's a 2 X 15" cab and it looks like a bitch to carry.

thanks for the input though

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The Hartke 215BXL has a Frequency Response of 30 Hz To 1 kHz. Unless you are playing dub, I do not think this is a good idea by itself. And it is a monster (110 lbs)

5. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    that'll teach me to misread a post:oops: .i am talking about the 2.5xl (2 x 10"), and not the the 2 x 15" that you actually asked about. my bad. however, my comments on the xl series still stands, i love 'em...
    jdkh

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I myself would avoid the 2x15 as a stand alone cab. Id go with a 4x10 with a frequency response of 30-15 if you can find one. You'll get good ample lows out of them and not be so boomy/muddy, and will be able to cut through the mix much better.

7. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Looks like I'm not gonna get it.
    I was hoping the 215 XL might be something else than the 215BXL and was a fullrange cab. Looked like a good deal but a sub isn't what I need at the moment.

Thanx anyway

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had one for a few years. It is best used with another cab. Its not very heavy, given its size and contents. IMO, Hartke's aluminum cones didn't translate too well to 15's, but are fine for 10's.