Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 215xl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 16, 2005.

1. alrighty....ive been craving to try and get a more '70s bass tone every day..ive got my ksd 70's jazz, soon i will have an ampeg svp-pro (i hope :D) and ive been lusting after a hartke 215xl.....

has anyone on here got a 215xl, or used one as a stand-alone cab(which i wanna do)....and what type of poweramp would ya reccomend pairing with it?

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I havn't tried the 215xl but I did try a 410 xl with a hartke 3500 head. I thought it was ok sounding, but tin speakers don't cut it for me.

I would suggest looking into a bergantino nv215 if you want vintage 70's sound. Cause if you think about it did bass players have allluminium speakers back in the 70's?

-Rob

3. no bergantino, im in australia, over here im sure that cabinet would be like $5000 if anywhere stocked it..i love the aluminium speakers, IMO there isnt much difference between those and paper cones, just the aluminiums are just a bit more defined

bass players didnt have 5 strings in the 70's either, but i have a KSD 70's 5 string....so ill rephrase it, i want a slightly more modernistic 70's tone

4. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I have a 215XL. But I use it paired with a 4.5XL, thru my pre-power setup. I find the 215 to be very articulate (for a 2x15") but I'd add some crossed over mid/hi driver (a 6" or some relatively "low" tweeter) for stand alone use. According to Hartke's specs, the frequency response curve only goes up to 1KHz (too low, even for bass -IMHO, of course-). Good cab overall, not sure if that suitable as a stand alone cab.

ANDRUCA

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I used to have a 115 XL and loved it as a standalone....better than my 410xL.
    I heard a 215 at a festival and there were mega highs, crispy sound.
    I don't think you'd be unhappy with that set up.
    You probably want at least 500watts amp or higher to get a good volume.
    Just be careful with bass frequency boosting...
    I would consider the 215XL myself, but am into smaller gear right now.
    Murphy

6. Actually Aluminium cones have quite a history... I read somewhere that Jaco played through the first set of aluminium coned cabs that were custom built for him!!!

7. larry hartke was a sound tech at a club that jaco played at and when jaco heard about the aluminium speakers he asked larry to build him an 810, and jaco was the first hartke user

but no need for this thread to go on, ive found an old peavey 410 for a rather cheap price now :hyper: :D

8. RickRocker

RickRocker

Jan 17, 2012
    I just got a great deal on the Harke 2-15 xl cab and I am using a original Ampeg B-4 1000 watt 4 ohm head on it and it sounds KILLER! The Harke cab is a 4 ohm cab and so is the harke cab so it jives togetherhowever the cab is rated at 400 watts at rms at 4 ohms so I have to be careful with the volume. The Head Room is the factor here so be careful running allot of power. A 400 watt amp at 4 ohms should work great...Cab has all the lows and ding factor and really throws...Tape the windows...Hope that was helpful...Rick Rocker....

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd expect a pair of 1x15 hydrive cabs would crush the old XL in every way, including being much lighter.