1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke 2500 amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by luigirox, Apr 2, 2013.

1. luigirox

luigirox

Apr 1, 2013
    I need to get cab for a ha2500 this I new to this whole thing so any help would be great. I would like to get the most out of it and not break the bank. Can some give me some good idea on what to pair it with? I would like to be around 200 dollars.
    I am new to this so sorry if I ask dumb questions,
    Do I need the horn speaker?
    Is 2 10 better than 1 15 or 410? I have know Idea-
    Anyone running a ha2500 what setup?
    Will this be ok for small gigs?

2. You would be best to go with a 410 or 215 but a quality cab even used will be a challenge for only $200.00 The HA2500 is only 250 watts with a 4 ohm load, less with a 8 ohm load. You need speaker area with lower powered amp heads.

3. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Check the used market. You should be able to score a good 4x10 in good shape for $150 or so. The Hartke amps are underrated IMO. They are clear, versatile.... and loud.

EDIT: guess I've just been lucky. In checking Craigslist, most folk are not selling in that price range.

4. I have an HA2500 and use it with a Hartke Transporter 4x10 which at 8 ohms matches the head well. Hartke no longer makes Transporters as you will to find one used and you may be able to find one used, if you look and keep looking. eBay, craigslist, the classifieds here at TalkBass.

5. The best used $200 and under 4-10s I've personally played and liked have been the Peavey TVX-410 and SWR Workingman's 410T.

The HA2500 is a very nice little amp, should do fine in smaller gigs with enough speaker :cool:

6. luigirox

luigirox

Apr 1, 2013
    should I try to get a 4ohm cab or 8
    4 will get the most out of the amp correct,

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Here's what I had: an HA2500 with a 210 Transporter and a 115 Transporter. It was a perfectly good amp, but got traded in on a Mesa/Boogie Walkabout Scout 1-15, which is an awesome bass amp, but much more expensive than the Hartke setup. I played a Fourth of July outdoors-on-the-lake with this rig, and it worked fine. It was also easily transportable and showed a 4 ohm load to the head, which increases power.

AV57Precision.

8. Keep in mind a 8 ohm 410 will give more sound than a 4 ohm 210.

9. luigirox

luigirox

Apr 1, 2013
    I think I need a explanation on this,
    "Keep in mind a 8 ohm 410 will give more sound than a 4 ohm 210."

10. Watts alone DO NOT get you volume. If you have half the speaker area you need almost 10 times the amp power to get the same amount of sound. If you don't care for the answer, start buying equipment till you discover this for yourself. ;)

11. luigirox

luigirox

Apr 1, 2013
    sorry i reread my post
    I meant a 4ohm 410 or 410 8ohm?

12. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Swr workingmans 410 should be cheap. SHOULD BE. I got mine for 170 and its mint. I've seen cheap cabs sit on Craigslist a long time cause the seller thinks they are worth way more. Some people need a brick up side the head. Anyhow, my WM 410 is only getting 175 ways from my head and sounds great! I think you need to start with a lower end 410 and go from there. 4 or 8 ohm doesn't matter at this point. If you need more sound you will need a better cab and more power. IMHO, I'd rather spend a little more and schlep 1 410 and amp than spend a little more and have 2 410s and amp to schlep. Also sometimes finding a pair of th same cab can be a pain. I'm about to give up on finding another WM 410 of the same era.

If you like 15s there's usually a bunch of them out there too.

All of the previous bs is talking about used stuff.

13. The difference between what the amp will able to output with a 4 ohm load and 8 ohm load will not make as much difference as the numbers suggest. A 10 watt amp will sound twice as loud as a 1 watt amp, a 100 watt will sound twice as loud as a 10 watt amp, a 1000 watt amp twice as loud as a 100 watt amp into the same speaker cab. The "louder" you go the more wattage is needed to perceive a change in volume. Doubling the speakers makes more difference than doubling the input power (like from 175 watts to 350 watts) up to the point of diminishing return of course.

14. luigirox

luigirox

Apr 1, 2013
    Found this for 200
    USED GK BACKLINE 4X10

Found this for 300 I think i can get it s little cheaper-
    Hartke Systems XL 4.5 Bass

Not sure if these are worth it

15. Pass on the Backline, "decent" starter budget cab maybe. But IMO pass. Go with the Hartke over the Backline cab.

16. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    I've tried one of those Hartke 4.5xl. It was pretty good. Never played a backline GK cab but I did try a gold line one. It was not as good as the Hartke. Offer the guy 150 and negotiate from there.

17. luigirox

luigirox

Apr 1, 2013
    the only thing im worried about is lugging one of these around-

18. If you want light weight keep an eye out in the classifieds here. New for $200 you are pretty much out of luck for a decent cab. You need a good cab, amps are easy to upgrade.

19. luigirox

luigirox

Apr 1, 2013
    Last thin could you suggest a couple decent option I should look for.

Thank you for the help

20. luigirox

luigirox

Apr 1, 2013
    I found one of these cheap- not sure if I should get this one 125+ a drive to get or the 300 dollar one
    Hartke xv-410