hartke 2x15 cab as a stand alone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DanfromCT, Aug 18, 2000.

1. I was thinking about looking into getting a hartke 2 15 cab, and either a 3500 head or a ampeg b2r, but im just concerned if it would be a decent idea to only use the 2 15 without a 2 10 or anything. I play classic rock, blues, funk, some jazz, but i have my b-100r to cover that. what are yer opinions. I love a powerful low end sound, but i dont want to be missing anything in the highs and mids, what do u all think? also i play a hamer cruise bass. thanks- Dan
  2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Hey, one of my friends in a local band has just that setup (Hartke 215 XL and 3500 head). It sounds great and he's playing a lot of slap bass and punk on it. Those aluminium cones seem to support the highs pretty well. I don't think that you'll have any problems at all.
  3. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Would this cabinet be the 215B XL
    listed on hartke's website. On the menu
    bar it reads as 215B XL (Sub Bass).
    By "(Sub Bass)" I would assume it means
    the lower bass and mid freqencies.

I checked out the frequency response
    and it goes from 30 Hz To 1 kHz.
    You would need a 10'' cab to go
    with it, so you could hit the highs.
    Or if you added a horn in their
    that might do it.

Hope this helps,
    -Greg P

P.S. I just read White Knights post.
    The 215B XL may sound very good on the highs.
    Perhaps the alluminum cone speakers have
    something to do with it.

Just looking at the frequency response,
    (30hz to 1khz) it doesn't seem like
    the 215B XL would handle the highs very well.
    Best thing to do is try it out.
    That's the only way you'll know.

[Edited by reel big bassist on 08-18-2000 at 10:50 PM]
  4. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'm using an Ampeg 215 (w/tweeter) right now.
    GREAT low end, but almost too boomy in little rooms.
    Many people here say that 10's are better for little rooms and stage monitoring - that's what I believe too.
    But with a little EQing it works quite well with my 215 and I still got that low end if I should need it.

BTW you can't compare modern 15's (especially like the Hartke with their aluminium cones) to the old "flappy" ones.

5. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I played through a friend's carvin 2x15, and while I was warming up, I played some schizophrenic slap stuff, thinking "wow this is gonna be loud". Yes, it was loud as all hell, but when I popped the high notes, all I got was this middy "honk". It might have been the crappy head or something, but all I know was there was way too much low end and not enough highs. I recommend getting the 2x15 in conjunction with the 2.5xl cabinet. Or stick with the classic 1x15, 4(or 2)x10 combination. Or save some dough and get a SWR Goliath Sr. or Megoliath(6x10 or 8x10).
    There's the current B.S. on my mind...
  6. does anyone here know where i could go and try a 215BXL and a 3500 head in connecticut? there are a good amount of hartke dealers around, but i havent seen the bxl in stock.
  7. you could try asking if maybe they'd order one for you to try, no obligation, but I'm somehow doubting they would.
  8. by the way, just for reference's sake...the Peavey 215 I used to play through was perfect for rock and a good thick sound, but according to people who have recorded with it, it didn't record so well.
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmmmm......I would say that most 2x15's would need a ten to go with it, but if you're gonna use a 2x15 as a standalone, I would have to say that the Hartke's are the way to go...I played through one once, and they're pretty articulate, even with the popping...I'm not sure, but don't they build that cab with a horn? I think I would look into that...then u could mike your horn, send it to the mixer and bam! instant Fieldy!!! ok...don't throw too many brikkz!
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh yeah....if you haven't checked them out yet, I think Gallien-Kreuger heads go excellent with the hartkes.....just thought I'd add that....
  11. nope, hartke doesnt make the 2x15 with a horn, too bad though, that would be perfect, also, im not really a slap player, so i wouldnt really want to sound like feildy anyways, plus i think he sucks as a slap player.
    and about the gallien kreugar heads, i ve found that they dont, my first real amp was a hartke transporter 15 with an old gk 200rb, it sounded like garbage, but i think thats cuz it was underpowered. but maybe there are better, gk/hartke setups around, in fact im sure there are
    anyone else use this set up?, 215 bxl and the 3500 head?

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    This is a pissa head (pissa means cool). Im getting one in a couple of weeks. would have it this mweek but my car $hit the bed. Anyway,,, Im not going with the Hartke cabs. I played it in the music store through A SWR workingmans 2x10 and 1x15. sounds way better than the Hartke cabs IMHO. Im just saying you should check out other cabs before you buy it good luck.
  13. I've discovered that all of those Hartke cabinets, the ones made out of aluminum anyway, don't sound so great. the heads I have heard sound great with other cabinets though. that's just my opinion though.
  14. Tbassrocker

Aug 14, 2009
    I have been alternating running my Carvin B800 through my Hartke 4x10XL and 2x15XL cabs at practice. To me, and the rest of my band-mates, the 2x15 rig blows away the 4x10 all day long, with no noticeable drops in highs. But it also rattles the house a bit much!!! Gigging, I've run each scenario stand alone (depending on my mood that day, and room in my truck) and get huge compliments on the sound of the bass either way.

If I had to sell one of my cabs, I think it would be the 4x10. If it were any other mfg cabinet, I may think differently.

Of course the premo sound is when they're stacked. Talk about pushing air. Sound guys start drooling. And it looks freakin cool as hell. The aluminum cones on the black background really get attention.

I play Ernie Ball "Bongo" (5-string HH), Carvin LB75F (5-string fretless), and Fender Jazz (Geddy Lee Model). Classic Rock, Pop Rock, Disco/Dance...

Keep it low and thump it hard.
  15. MonsterTruck88

Sep 4, 2008
    I used a 215 VX for a while, and it sounded great as a standalone. Also, the horn on the VX helped with the highs.
  16. blendermassacre

blendermassacre Supporting Member

May 28, 2009
    kansas city, mo
    Uh, yeah they do. Or at least they did. VX series 215 comes with a horn.

I use it as a stand alone and it freaking rocks. The 15's are very articulate. The horn helps the highs, but doesn't get farty etc.
  17. lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    lol 8 year necro...noice :)
  18. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    You don't need no stinkin horn.

I use a Hartke 2x15(replaced the aluminum drivers with real warm sounding paper drivers)powered by a GK 800RB. Not good for practicing at home cause it shakes everyones eyeballs too much....but at the bar....it rocks.

19. blendermassacre

blendermassacre Supporting Member

May 28, 2009
    kansas city, mo