Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 3000 Head - $229.95: Junk or Jewel?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bongolation, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Like I need more blasted bass heads, right? :p

Still, this might be a deal for someone...

Delivery and extended warranty included.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'm downloading the owner's manual as I write this... the first thing I notice is the signal-to-noise rated at 68 dB referred to 1 Watt output. This is a full dynamic range of 93 dB, not impressive by contemporary standards.

Come on... hurry up... darn dial-up connection...

There is no weight spec... c'est la vie. For a few dollars more, there is the GK Backline 600 head, which will probably shape up to be the gold standard mainstream bass head for moderate power levels. On the other hand, the Hartke looks like it is probably more compact and less wooly than the Behringer head.

3. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I just thought that was funny.

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i like my hartke, but they are a little heavy compared to a lot fo the stuff on the market now.

that said, i have a 5000 model for sale on ebay now and its only 199... if i needed head, ( i dont ) i think that is a STEAL- its 500 watts, biamped etc.

ok, TB members who buy will get a shipping discount ;-)

5. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    lolz

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, I didn't even look at the specs myself as they tend to be largely imaginary, but I remember when that big $100 Hartke head deal came around about a year or so back (remember that?), the people who got them said they were wicked noisy and had lame effects.

I just thought I remembered someone saying that the 3000 was a legitimately good head -- though this was probably referring to an older pre-SamAsh unit. I'm not a Hartke guy myself. I don't know how inflated the $709.99 MSRP is, either.

I'm up to my eyes in new heads, having bought three SWRs in less than 36 hours in September, but I thought this might be, as you said, a better alternative for someone currently considering a $200 Behringer. [shrug]

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I own a 3000 and a 5500. The 3000 is a decent head. It sounds really good with 10's and 12's. I don't like the way it sounds with 15's. Very muddy and no definition! 300w @ 4ohms but a conservative 300w.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have a 5000 and a 3000. Both are great. I use the 5000 with a 1x15 and a 2x10 bi-amped for bigger gigs, the 3000 I use with just a 2x10 for small/medium gigs. They both give a very clean, high clarity sort of sound, which I guess is why some people don't rate them - very uncoloured tone, no grit or overdrive to be had. I like them that way. If I want a bit more grit I dial it in on my Sansamp.