Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 3000 or 3500 bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by godlikenothing, May 26, 2003.

1. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL
    Yes, I know I should just look up the specs and whatnot (which I've already done) and decided which one would better fit my needs but I would like to know what other people think, especially those with experience with either/or. I would be using the head with one Hartke VX 410, and I would only be playing in small 20ish people gigs and jamming in garages. Money is only a minor issue since there is only a $50 or so difference. Any imput at all would be appreciated.

2. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL
    any help at all would be appreciated

3. I have a Hartke 3500. I have not played a 3000 but I think the 3500 is good amp for the price you pay. Lots of power and good eq. I bought a peavey cirrus 5er last week and thought the sound had too much mids. So just mad a slight "smiley" on the graphic eq. Sounded much better:bassist: Together with my Hartke 410XL I get a very nice sound. If I need another sound i just use the eq on my amp or the preamp on my bass. The only problem I had was the input jackets. The passive don´t work at the moment. But I can use the active. Hartke makes great stuff. Offcourse you can always get better things but the prices goes up with it.

4. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL
    thanks a lot, I just found a used 3500 on ebay for $250ish so I might look into putting a bid down

5. that's a fair price, remember it could go up and reach 300 or what. Probably not though. I got mine for $300 off HC classifieds and it seems rock solid. I haven't been able to use it yet as I don't have a cab yet, but it sounded great when plugged into an XL410 hartke cab. These amps are loud enough for any situation, good tone shaping ability, and overall its pretty simple to use. These are powerful amps for that price, I'd also make sure you dont get a bad cab to go along with it. Check out avatar speakers if you havent heard yet... I'd go with the 3500...

6. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    This is sort of off thread topic, but how do you ensure the seller is legit? Or do you just send of a check and hope for the best? Are there any companies out there that will help to ensure honest sellers? Thanks!

7. no, it's perfectly on topic. Your searching for an amp and you want to make sure you get what you want.

That's the problem with classifieds. I put a wanted ad up and he responded. I got a really honest person. You can't ever be certain, but my with my deal, the seller had over 150 internet references, he's sold a lot over the internet! All really vintage stuff and boutiqque stuff in great condition. What I did was I gathered all his contact information and even looked his adress up on mapquest, and he even asked me if he could have a chat with one of my parents, so that boosted my confidence in sending him a check... He said it'd have to clear before he'd ship... So I took my chances and the amount of emails we sent over a period of 2 weeks was almost like 2 per day; adding up to 20 messages in my inbox which were all saved!

I think its a trust issue. But if your buying off ebay, there's almost a contract I believe that the seller needs to follow through...

I dunno... if something seems fishy, it may be. Watch out for throw away accounts from Hotmail, yahoo, etc... Other than that, I dont know what else to say. Just go with your gut, if you can't part with $250 and risking that amount over the internet, it's not for you; I'd keep the money. But that's what my seller told me, and I still went ahead. You just need to show some trust towards people, and if theya rent willing to give their contact info, thats suspicious!

Peace

8. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL

Thanks a lot for all of the help, but I have one last question. Is an Avatar 410 cab worth paying $60 more than the Hartke VX 410? I have heard Avatar spoken very highly on this board and I checked out their website so if they are worth it, I'd look into picking one up.

9. if you have that $60 extra, go for it, itll handle more power. The VX115 is rated 300 watts but the 15 inside i hear is only a 75; so I'd suspect power exaggeration with the VX410. However, the VX410 isnt a horrible cab. Not the best obviously, but not bad. The avatar will probably last longer too.

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i got rid of my 3500 this morning actually. i liked it a lot and would recommend one to anybody.