Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 3500 & 115XL owners..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tsal, May 9, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    ..a question, if I may. I've been considering to replace my 4x10 Peavey with 115XL for now. I have understood that the XL goes fairly high for a fifteen, but how high is that, in practice?

I've noticed that some people swear by their 115XLs, even in 'full range' use, but what I'd like to know is that would the XL handle slapping and similar percussive techniques? I know you'd want atleast a tweeter for slapping, but I don't know if that's the case, I certainly don't dig those extreme highs that much. I play in rock bands, so it's not like I get to enjoy sophisticated highs that much, it's more like mid grunt there.

Anyways, have you tried the 115XL, and what were your experiences?

2. lostatrout

lostatrout Guest

Nov 20, 2002
    Bethel, Vermont
    I play through a 4.5XL and a 115XL and I love them both. I think you'd be quite suprised with the 115XL Great punch and pretty good range. I would recommend a 115XL to any bass player.

3. I have the 115XL and 4.5XL. For a time I used the 115XL by its self. I thought it sounded just fine for everything accept slapping. I added a Carvin horn that I mounted in a small box with in/out jacks and a L pad. This gave me the "zing" I needed to satisfy me. I think it was fine out front, I just like the extra hi-freqs. I eventually went to using the 4.5XL alone as I feel it will go as low as the 115 and has a more balanced tone. jmho

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I used to own a 1x15xl from Hartke. Loved the tone of it and used it as a stand alone cabinet.

It of course didnt have the crispness that you'd get from 10's or a tweeter for slapping and popping, but it didnt sound bad either.

Try it out, if you like it buy it.