1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke 3500+1x15" and ?2" combo - Any info???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveMcB, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Hi all,
    I'm GASing for an amp. I have very little/no cash at the moment, but could probably rustle some up if I found a great deal... I went into a store the other day which sells mostly used gear, and noticed they still have an interesting-looking amp in there (many months after I first noticed it). It didn't have an asking price on it, nor did I have time to play through it, but I am now wondering whether I should try to check it out, and wanting to see if anyone has experience with it. It's a Hartke 3500 head in a combo format with a 1x15" and 1x around 2", both aluminium coned speakers. I did not get a specific model number, nor can I find pictures of it on the net.

I've tried a friend's 3500 out years ago (he ran it through a 4x12 Gunn guitar cab, but it sounded great if time has not addled my recollection), and this amp has been sitting around for months (maybe even years) so I may be able to get a pretty good deal (pretty rare in stores in New Zealand).

I know the aluminium cones can be pretty bright, and I play Ibanez ATK's (also pretty bright).

Anyone know what this amp is?
    Anyone used one/have an opinion?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    If the speakers are in good shape it's a pretty nice amp.A buddy of mine used one for years and he liked it and it always sounded good to me.The tweeter is the same one used in the 4.5XL Hartke cabinet.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I think it's just called the 3500 combo. There is one on eBay right now with 4X10's. The guy claims the original speakers were warranty replaced with better than stock ones (and they definititely are not the silver aluminum). I'm kind of GASing for this one. But just know that you can buy a 3500 head for around $250.00 and a TP 4X10 for about $200 (or a 1X15 for maybe $150). I actually like, and want to get a Hartke 4X10 cab with the aluminum speakers - they sound great.

4. The combo in question should be the 1155 model, one of the first two Harke combos ever introduced in the early '90s. The other one was just called the "210," and had the same 3500 head with, you guessed it, two 10" aluminum speakers. They were discontinued sometime around '95, or '96. I've got an 1155 that I bought used from Guitar Center in '99. It's quite a capable combo, and much easier to move than your typical 2x10 combo (since I added permanent casters), like the Eden Metro or SWR Super Redhead, since it is taller in profile, narrower, and lighter. The tweeter is a 5", same as the 4.5XL and 2.5 XL cabs. Good DI, good EQ. 240 watts RMS with built-in speakers, 350 with an 8 ohm extension. With an 8 ohm extension of some sort, this could be the only amp you'd need for a variety of application for years to come. I'd jump on it. But make sure it plays well, and both the tube and SS channels work through their range, as well as make sure the tweeter is working (listen for a little hiss up close). I like mine a lot; I just don't get a chance to use it enough. The tone is whatever you set it up to be. It's not inherently bright.

5. Wow,
    Thanks guys!:cool:
    I didn't expect a reply (let alone 3!) so soon.
    Looks like I really need to go and check it out. I have played through my friend's 3500, and also through a Hartke cab before (many years ago) and loved it (at that stage I was playing my washburn with EMG's, and the rig was bass -> SWR Bass 350 redface -> Hartke 4x10). Best I ever heard my washburn sound.

I guess I'll be checking it out soon!

Thanks for your help!
    Steve