1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hartke 3500 and MM 212 cab - initial impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Mal, Oct 14, 2003.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    It's an 8 ohm cab. The Hartke is 350 at 4 ohm, somewhat less (250 ?) at 8.

Fairly loud but I think I'm gonna need more clean power. Sounds like the Hartke is running out of gas a bit earlier than the MM and I'd rather have the headroom. It did get pretty loud though ...

Tonally - cab is pretty bright. I'm wishing for a pad to control the mid driver. That having been said, this cab can produce some serious low end and the tone isn't something that can't be controled with non-radical EQ. The less EQ the better in my view of things though ...

So far the best bass tone I have achieved is an ART Phat Boy running into the active input, Compressor & Graphic off on the 3500 and the contours set flat. Basically the Hartke is there for Gain and then Power. This sounded nice with a very bright Active J (D'Addario Half-rounds) and Passive J's, fretted & fretless, both with flatwounds.

For a kick. My Korg Poly 800 synth, through the Phat Boy. YIKES! Scary fat! Huge low end.
    Seems like the combination of the head and cab is just brutally honest. I like a setup that adds a bit of warmth & sweetness to my tone. Controlling fret clack is going to be a the issue for me I think. When I next get time to play about I'm going to drop a Parametric EQ into the eff loop and see if I can isolate some of the more objectionable freq's, then I'll decide on the Hartke ...

Definately going to want more power for this thing. Cab is a keeper for sure!

I could see pairing this with a tube pre and pwr amp rig or maybe an SVT type head ...