hartke 3500 and MM 212 cab - initial impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Mal, Oct 14, 2003.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    It's an 8 ohm cab. The Hartke is 350 at 4 ohm, somewhat less (250 ?) at 8.

Fairly loud but I think I'm gonna need more clean power. Sounds like the Hartke is running out of gas a bit earlier than the MM and I'd rather have the headroom. It did get pretty loud though ...

Tonally - cab is pretty bright. I'm wishing for a pad to control the mid driver. That having been said, this cab can produce some serious low end and the tone isn't something that can't be controled with non-radical EQ. The less EQ the better in my view of things though ...

So far the best bass tone I have achieved is an ART Phat Boy running into the active input, Compressor & Graphic off on the 3500 and the contours set flat. Basically the Hartke is there for Gain and then Power. This sounded nice with a very bright Active J (D'Addario Half-rounds) and Passive J's, fretted & fretless, both with flatwounds.

For a kick. My Korg Poly 800 synth, through the Phat Boy. YIKES! Scary fat! Huge low end.
    Seems like the combination of the head and cab is just brutally honest. I like a setup that adds a bit of warmth & sweetness to my tone. Controlling fret clack is going to be a the issue for me I think. When I next get time to play about I'm going to drop a Parametric EQ into the eff loop and see if I can isolate some of the more objectionable freq's, then I'll decide on the Hartke ...

Definately going to want more power for this thing. Cab is a keeper for sure!

I could see pairing this with a tube pre and pwr amp rig or maybe an SVT type head ...