1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hartke 3500 and ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by themaestro78, Mar 24, 2013.

1. themaestro78

themaestro78

Sep 27, 2011
    I have a few questions about speakers and amps. I have a Hartke 3500 head and a fender bxr 2x10. The amp puts out 250 watts @8 ohms and 350 watts @4ohms and the cabinet is 150w @8ohms. If I were to add another 8ohm cabinet I understand that the total would be 4ohms, but does the total wattage of cabinets add up when daisy-chained? Also I notice that there are two speaker outs on the back of the amp labeled 8ohms. If I were to plug an 8ohm cabinet into each of these would it give me 250 watts @ 8ohms each or 350 watts @ 4ohms like daisy chaining? Any thoughts or info would be great, thanks

PS i know i'm over powering my cab right now. im just thinking of getting a new cabinet or two

2. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    If you add another 8ohm cabinet your amp will put out the full 350 watts and split it evenly between the two 8ohm loads. Of your cabs are rates for 150watts each, you'll be putting 175 watts into each of them, which should be perfectly fine, as long as you don't do any drastic EQing and listen to the speakers when your pushing them hard to hear if they start distorting.

3. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    you can daisy chain or use both speaker outs on the back same effect. will be 350 watts and 4 ohms. I had a 3500 for many years . the loudest 350 watts on the planet. yes add up the watts but in reality each cab will get even amount so assume the weakest cab times 2 as a better way to look at it. meaning if you add a 100 watt cab than you are safe at 200 watts at 4 ohms...

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, 2 8 ohm cabs equals 4 ohms, and that's true either way you connect them- both from the head, or daisy chained- same thing, parallel. And yes, you add the wattage of both cabs together. But don't worry about overpowering, because the wattage ratings on the cabs mean very little. Yes, you can blow those spkrs, but that's true of any cab. Just watch your low eq and volume, and listen for spkrs "farting out". You should be fine.

5. themaestro78

themaestro78

Sep 27, 2011
    cool thanks!

6. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    The jacks on the back are just wired in parrallel. They can handle just one 4 ohm in either jack you choose or one or two 8 ohm in one or both jacks at once. If you plugging in 2 8ohm cabs the head would see a total of 8ohms and would be putting out 350 watts total divided between the cabs.

7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    :confused:

No - with 2 8 ohm cabs plugged in the head would see a total of 4 ohms.