Hartke 3500 buzzzzzzzzing...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dougray, Nov 9, 2002.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i have a hartke 3500 bass head,its in "like new" shape,taken care of,using new guitar cords,etc. here is my prob. when i use this amp to gig it buzz's terribly,i have tryed the ground lift on rear of amp(does nothing) i have tryed a ground lift plug ,(it helps some),whats whacked is when i play the amp at my house everything works great. i am assuming it might be the lights? buzzing coming back thru from PA system? has anyone had the same prob and found a way to fix it? or should i just live with it? thnx in advance.. :)
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Might be the wall outlet.

I've seen some weird stuff happening with old non-grounded outlets, for example my ol' Peavey TNT would start putting out loud low hum(50Hz, perhaps) when I would turn the volume pot from my bass to either end.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    try a power conditioner, i had lots of hum through my amp until i got an ETA power conditioner. they can be had for about $100 dollars or so. furman are good ones to get...

you can get ones that monitor the amount of voltage soming through it and most reduce noise associated with lights and ground loops etc.
  4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    If your bass has single coil PUs or inadequate shielding, the hum may be coming from the bass. Does the amp hum when the bass is not plugged in? What bass are you using?

5. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    hello, i am using a ibanez btb 405 bass,but i tryed 3 basses and they all buzzed,ok,i have a crate bx200 amp(all solid state) and it worked fine...
    i am assuming my hartke might need some help,i am going to take it apart and check the inputs and see if any broken solder joints.but like a said earlier when i hook up the hartke in my house it works great ,no buzzz- what so ever..go figure... thnx for replies.
  6. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    If you plug the hartke straight in to the pa without using a cabbe sure not to turn the master volume up - it'll create fuzz because there's no cab to send all that power to.

This probably isnt the problem.

Can you equalize the noise out? what does it sound like? Take your crate to rehearsal and see if that buzzes, could be lights or another interfering power source or something...
  7. jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Did I understand you right? You're only having this 60 hz hum or buzzing from the bass through the PA. Not in the bassrig itself? Right? If that is the case your having a so called "ground loop".
    If the equipment you are using, in this case your bassrig and the PA system you are using are plugged to house electric systems outlets in different parts of the building, you may experience "ground loop". An electric outlet have 0 and 120V. What is supposed to be "0" isn't allways exactly 0v in every outlet in a building. In a big building, not every outlet is supplied from the same source. That is why there may be a little difference in the so called 0V. And when your gear is connected to two electrical units with slightly differen 0V, you'll have a small current (maby some mV) running in your signal, and this is what may cause the hum/buzz.
    Here is site that my help you:
  8. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    ok, i just did a 2 day gig over this weekend,friday night soundchecking my hartke 3500 i have a serious buzzzzzz. my bas rig is plugged into the same outlets as the PA power amps. ok, when bass plugged in and the volume down ,no buzz,but when i turn up volume ,bam buzzzing. and i notice while having thing turned up when i am moving around the buzz goes up and down. i am thinking since my rig is around wires,mike cables,lights,etc. this is where all the buzzing is coming from? i brang my back up head(crate bx200-solid state) no buzz at all,plugged into same outlet with same cords and bass guitar. i am thinking it might have something to do with the tube pre-amp in the hartke? i'll have to keep fiddling with it,thnx for replies.
  9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    You might try turning the preamp gain down and the power amp gain up to see if that helps. Some amps have a fairly strong magnetic field and it can be picked up by the bass. I've also noticed that my Furman power regulator/conditioner seems to have a strong magnetic field.

10. cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm having similar trouble with my Hartke HA5000. I've isolated the problem to the high frequency contour. When it's set fully left, there is no buzz. When it starts getting close to the 12 o'clock position and further right, the buzzing becomes noticable. This happens even when nothing is plugged into the amp, as well as with different basses, cabinets, and cables. I borrowed a friend's power conditioner, but the buzz was still there.

For now I can deal with turning down the highs, since I have a backup amp, but I'm looking for a better solution.
  11. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I had similar problems with my 3500. replaced the pre-amp tube with something decent (mainly just to establish whether it was the tube or not) and it has been fine ever since. the tubes they put in 'em are cheap sovteks so spend a tenner and it could all be fine. or if not, least you know its NOT the tube!!
  12. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i have a new EH 12AX7 tube i am going to try,thanks for replies.