1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke 3500 Fan Replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sevenyearsdown, Oct 1, 2008.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I have an old Harkte 3500 that the fan is going on. Have any of you guys replaced these before (with a quiter unit)? Any recommendations?

Hartke bashers - please stay outta this one.

2. Call Larry Hartke. 201-680-8153. He loves talking to customers.

3. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY

I'm afraid they'll want to send me the same fan!

4. If the old one lasted for years, why would you hesitate to install a similar fan??? makes no sense.

5. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I would like to replace it with a quieter one. The Hartkes are notorious for having noisy fans, which didn't bother me so much when I was hauling a full stack and playing in loud bands, but that isn't the case for me anymore. I was just curious if anyone here had found something a little better. I should have clarified that.

6. Larry may have an alternate plan. One thing he knows about is what could be done better with his amps. He may have a good idea for you. Plus, you get to talk with Larry Hartke.

7. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Just an unpdate for ya'll. I called Larry and we talked for about 25 minutes. He is really cool, and really appreciative of his customers. He sent me a new fan free of charge so my 3500 is back up a nd running fine now. He also said call him anytime, and hit 'em up on myspace. So....you guys were right, Larry is awesome.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  8. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Was the new fan quiet? The one I got a couple years ago was the same as the first. I still like the amp, though. If you haven't already, replace the preamp tube with a long plate 12ax7. You'll be very happy.

9. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd post my solution. I too had issues with the fan and researching around on the net I found that you can easily replace the fan with a quieter one (only two wires to cut/solder). I used THIS FAN from Digi-Key which only cost $8.74 and replaced the existing one. With the new one I barely know it's even on now in my quiet room.

The stats I recalled seeing on the factory fan is Air Flow of ~24 CFM (the one above has 26.1 CFM), is dimensions of 80mm L x 80mm H x 25mm W, and is a 24V DC fan. I want to say I saw somewhere the factory fan had a noise level of 27 dB while the one I replaced it with has rated noise level of only 19 dB. Remember, dB's are logarithmic so that's a vast improvement.

For reference I have the old fan sitting here. It's labeled :

NONOIse fan model A8025H24B-FH, rated DC 24V and 0.095A made by "Oriental Electronics, CO. LTD"

10. pablobrad

pablobrad

Apr 13, 2012
    Hi, I took your advice and bought that fan from Digi keys, fitted it into the amplifier no problem. Turned on the power switch and there was a slight crackle, a small pop and a tiny puff of smoke then no fan movement. Any suggestions?

11. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yup. Call Larry. Tell him we said hi.

Truthfully, I know this will work.

12. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Sorry to hear about that - mine's still purring along fine. Are you sure you wired it up right and insulated all your connections before putting it back together? Sounds to me like a short somewhere..

13. jesseallen

jesseallen

Dec 7, 2007

In defense of your welcome response to a noisey Hartke fan. I did exactly what you said to do by ordering the above fan for a Hartke Mosfet 700 and it did the trick. The fan fit right in.....much quieter now.

I am thinking you are right about the other fellow perhaps having a short which blew his amp. I think the easiest way to do it is open the chassis, cut the wire ties holding all the wires together, remove the (+-) plug that goes into the printed circuit board from the fan motor, then cut the positive/negative wires and re-soldering them to the new fan motor wires using some heat shrink to keep them insulated then putting everything back together again including putting some new wire ties to bundle the wires. I'm not an electrician for sure but it only took me about an hour to do the whole thing.

14. As the OP was from 2008 I would think that this problem is well and truly solved. :)

15. maurigames

maurigames

Aug 16, 2017
    Hello people!! just a small question regarding the Hartke HA3500, you were talking about one fan... but i understand there are two fans, right??? the one you are talking about is 80X25MM, but there another smaller... or i am crazy? in this photo that i uploaded (it is not a real Hartke HA3500) but it has the same configuration for the fans. Thanks, guys for any feedback!

Attached Files:

16. guitarrophobe

guitarrophobe

Mar 20, 2017
    If I'm not completely wrong my Ha3500 has only one fan. And it looks different from what you posted.

I'm quite sure that I am not wrong because I plan to replace my fan as well and I think I would have noticed a second fan...

joenoone likes this.
  17. I just liked a post from 2008! Oh the shame of it! :crying: