Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 3500, God or Evil??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danny3k, Jul 15, 2001.

1. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Hi there, I've been away a little, but I'm here, I want to buy a Hartke 3500 head, but I want your opinion about that head, I want to buy too a SWR Goliath Junior cab and a Big Ben 18" Cab, is that a good setup?? I already have a Boss LMB-3 Limiter/Enhancer, but I want opinions about the head, consider that this will be my first head, and I'm not fully proffesional, it's only for common gigs, about 300, 400 or so people. Thanx

2. Stay tuned..

i'm getting my Hartke 4000 " Millennium " in 2 weeks, along with Eden CX410 cab :D

3. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i recommend doing a search. so much has been said about 3500's, it's almost a waste to go into it again. i have the 3500, and i love it. from what i've seen at this site, most either love hartke or hate them, all being a matter of personal opinion, mind you. bottom line is: try it out, your ears will not lie...

4. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    it has a lot of features, like a tube pre-amp and a 10 band eq and variable compression. however they are all cheapy. the compression doesn't sound all that good. i don't really like the tubey pre-amp sound (sounds too colored). and i would never use a 10-band eq at all. 3-band with midshift is enough. i was going to get a 3500 but i decided to get a firebass 700 instead for more power.

5. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i'd probably go with a GK 400rb over the hartke 3500...look hard at the 4000 though.

6. Yar !

the 4000 rules ! it sounds SWEET with Eden CX410 cab..imho that is..

i play with distortion all the time, and the cx410 with the hartke 4000 give me just the punchy, clear sound i want :)

7. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Well, and what features does the 4000 have??

I want something like 350W or so.

Let me know, and you'll if you know about some bass amp with about 350W or 375 or whatever at a good price, please let me know.

8. Danny , correct me if wrong but seems you plan on buying about a thousand dollars worth of speaker cabs then power them with a $400 head . I'm not knocking the Hartke heads but with the two SWR cabs you mentioned you probly aren't gonna get the best out of those cabs with just 350 watts. Have you considered taking your 14 or 15 hundred dollars and buying a more matched rig ? For that kind of money you could get into alot of nice rigs that might work better together ; Do a search on $1500 rigs that ran awhile back here , there was alot good suggestions in there

9. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Well, I was thinking about an Ampeg SVT-III Pro, (The Older Model) that pushes 100 Watts more, and I found it used in 500 or so dollars

10. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    well, it's all a matter of what your ears tell you. imo, the hartke is a great head for the price, especially for your situation. i really like the sound out of the hartke system. (i also like ampeg, but it's a different sound to me.) you don't necessarily need a lot of power, just because you play out. i've found that i like the sound from the professional-type rigs (as opposed to a 150w - 200w combo). the point is, if you're playing through a pa system, 400w is overkill, strictly on the position of wanting the wattage. (talking tone is a different subject, however related.)

take in the advice from anyone you talk to. i don't agree with every opinion that i've read on this site, and i doubt that everyone would agree with mine. but regardless of what anyone tells you, your ears will not lie...

11. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I don´t know about the 3500, but can tell you the Hartke 4000 rules, you have this parametric EQ you can dig almost every sound you want, from a boommy regee-like sound to a clappy-fildiest to a honky mid tone........and you have 400 watts of power, enough to small or medium sized gigs.....

(Hey guys, i´m not endorsed by Hartke :) )

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I had a Hartke 3500 I wasn't really fond of it... I mean, it wasn't bad... But I like my current setup much MUCH better. (I use a Peavey Firebass now)

And as far as overall sound goes? I can't really tell the difference in how loud each got. I had my Hartke head up so loud the one day that **** was falling from my ceiling. I've never done that with my Firebass... And the Firebass is 2x more watts.

It's a prefrence thing.

13. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Hey, I like that!

Because I want it for many types of music, most styles are "Pop/Rock, ballads, Pop, R&B, Reggae, Latin" and that stuff.

Keep up the good sound

14. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    For most of the concerts I play, there is a very good sound and I can play through the PA, but I want to produce a good sound, and another thing I play on a lot of churches, from small to huge, and for that is why I need some good power. The members had talked very good about the 4000 head, I just have to play it and hear it to see if it is good enough.

15. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    if the 4000 is as good or better than the 3500, then you should be set. i play for my church as well, but i just run my bass pod through the pa system there.

16. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Hey, you are set!! you are playing with the head and cabinet of your choise through the PA system, you know what I'm talking about. I've never had played with the POD, but I've hearded some good reviews about it. One question, do you have a monitor or something like that to hear yourself??

17. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    yeah, we have a pretty decent mackie pa system at the church. the monitors on stage are enough to hear the mix, and the music sounds great out in the hall. the bass pod is perfect for that.

on a side note, i played the bass pod through our pa system (for my working band) for our first few shows while i was searching for the rig that i wanted (obviously ended up with a hartke). it worked out well for the show. i ran it through a fender bass combo (around 300w, i believe) for stage volume, and had a line out to the pa. i personally didn't like the tone from the combo, but the bass sounded good for the crowd.

18. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    There is something, a lot of people doesn't know if the bass is sounding good or not, but the thing is that I don't care what people think, I'll play more confortable if I like the sound. Well that's what I think.

19. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i totally agree. the problem with playing through the fender combo, was that i did not like the tone. not even a little. and it drove me absolutely crazy. the only thing that got me through the whole deal, was that i knew the pod-through-the-pa was good. my tone out in the crowd sounded great, at least to me. there was a point when i just wanted to turn my stage volume off. that's what lit a fire under my feet to get a rig.

the other guys didn't think the bass sounded that bad, but that kind of goes with the "your ears don't lie". no matter how much they told me it sounded good, i didn't like it. and it really hurt my playing, because i was sensitive about the sound, and i felt like i was really holding back. no matter what rig you choose, make sure it's what you want. not what people here (including me) think you should get, or what they have, or what your favorite player uses, or the guy at the music store, etc, etc. if you're not happy with it, then that's exactly it, you're not happy with it...

20. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Yeass! that's makes it!, I was thinking that, because I didn't want people to buy the rig for me, I only wanted suggestions, I've already played the 3500, and for my first rig it isn't bad, But I'll have to test the 4000, I've hearded reviews that it's something better than the 3500, so I'll give it a try, and for the speakers, I think that's just fine.