hartke 3500 head and 410 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clanner, Dec 21, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    just got back from the music store, and tried this out (funds cut, not getting kustom head)

I played the head through the paper cone xl410 for about an hour, then went to the aluminum coned one, all that I can say is that I want one.

what experiances have you had with these heads and cabs, what do you think?

i liked both cabs, i could dial in tube and solid state tones (uses both) and the aluminum cab seemed to have a little more response and crisp clearness to it.
  2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I've been using a 3500 with the 410VX cab for the last few years, occasionally with a 115VX. I also just bought an Eden D210XLT and have been running the 3500 through the Eden.

For the money, it has been 10000% reliable and has never let me down. Just realize that Hartke stuff is kind of a "plain vanilla" brand .... nothing fancy, but it'll hold up well for you.

I'm primarily a funk and power jazz fusion player, and I've never had any regrets using the 3500. I play between 75-100 gigs a year and the amp has performed great. The recent purchase of the Eden was to lessen the weight of the 410 at smaller locations, the Hartke 210 cabs did not impress me at all ....... :cool:
  3. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    never planned on getting a 210, question of curiosity, what is the difference between tube and solid state? the hartke has both, and a guitarist friend of mine thinks that they are the same thing.
  4. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I am a midlife newbie with that exact rig. It is my first rig after stepping out of the combo realm. bought it because it was the path of least resistance and well recommended!! got the head for $175 and the cab for $150.... Ran into the pieces separately and bought because there was a fairly favorable response on talkbass for the head. Great for the money and very happy with the sound. I replaced the 12ax7 with a ElectroHarmonix tube and bought a pearson 2up case for $30 to mount in in. Sounds great for my first rig and have no problem going up against 2 guitarists at the local blues jams. I am playing a MTD Grendel 5 as my main bass. I do have to agree that the compressor can only be turned up so far before it gets useless. The EQ works well and the contours have a nice effect.

Once I had the chance to also take my other cab and use it with this rig. It is a Tech Sound systems 212. This added more bottom and really filled out the rig. I would probably have bought an Avatar 2x10 and a 1x12 if these cabs did not fall in front of me while I was shopping.

Now I must mention that I also have a Sansamp BDDI which I love dearly. I use it with the Hartke and when I practice, it gets plugged into my SWR LA-10. Went to a play at one gig with a big PA and just took that and DI'd into the pa. I have stopped using the contours since I added the Sansamp. Just run them flat.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have one of the older Mosfet 3500's and it's a great little head. I never found myself lacking headroom in most of the situations I played in (I don't play any 'metal' related stuff, but have played in occasional punk bands). I also found that it was pretty flexible tonally for most settings. For years I got compliments on my sound, and when I play it occasionally these days it still sounds great when paired with a good cab.

That said, I don't really like Hartke cabs. I think there are other cabs that match better than their aluminum cone cabs...I also think that the head was designed with that cab in mind so it has great lows to balance the mid and treble that the cabs tend to emphasize. I don't like a lot of much above mid, so the head works nicely for me when paired with a traditional cab.

I've had my 3500 since about 92, and have had no failures, no damage, no missing knobs or any other problems. I do on occasion change out the tube as I really don't like the sovtek that came in it and currently have a high gain JJ 12AX7 in it but it also sounded good with the Ei that was in it before.
  6. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Is the Tech cab an ND series cab, ie. one of the newer ones? If so, I'm planning on getting at least one of those within the next year or so and depending on funds, it may find itself matched with the HA3500, how do you find they work together? Also, how well does the 212 handle a low B, I've tried a Tech 210 ND + 212 ND rig but didn't try a 5 string with it, it was perfection though.
  7. Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Mar 20, 2005
    If you ever need that HA3500 fixed! I have parts available! I also buy broken hartke's.
  8. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have the older tech cabinet. It looks like a 1-12 cab with the second 12 being mounted slightly sideways behind the tweeter in a horn type configuration. I find that the 5th string tends to growl thou nicely with either the tech or hartke cab and I presume that it is the Hartke head. I really like the tone of the 2x12 cab and want to try it with a SWR, ampeg and a Walkabout head. When I bought it the rear speaker had been replaced with a car subwoofer ?!?!??! I ordered a Eminence Delta LF 12" replacement. I had no luck on getting a response from Tech on a replacement. When I bought it the music store had it listed as a 1-12 cab and did not know who Tech Soundsystems was.
  9. I used an old 3500 for about 3 years with no problems. Then it went to hell in a hurry. I lost the tube pre-amp in the middle of a gig and it went downhill from there. I don't know how often Hartke amps fail, I can only cite my experience. I had an aluminum 4 X 10" cab but ended up with an Ampeg SVT410HE and it sounded great with the 3500.
  10. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    +1 on everything here. I have a 3500 from the same year. I've had to replace the preamp tube occasionally, but I've never had any other issues with it. I used it heavily for about 6 years, and less often since. Got a 410TP (aluminum) the same year (those slappy days); Eden D410T for a couple years later and it sounded great with both. Though I agree it sounds better with more traditional cabs. I keep it as backup now. It does sound great with my other cabs, when I pull it out. Lots of headroom for the rating. Solid.
  11. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    thank you for all of the replies. they have been very informative.
  12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Look for an old used MOSFET 3500. They sound much better and their prices have been deflated because Hartke started using cheaper components in the newer 3500's in an effort to lower their price. IMO, the older mosfet's are solid bread and butter heads. Easy way to check that a Hartke head is one of the mosfet's is that the old ones say "MOSFET 3500" on the front. Nothing wrong wth the newer 3500's, they just aren't as nice as the older ones and they are the same price or in many cases more.

I never cared for hartke's cabs other than their "top of the line" :eyebrow: xl series. The aluminum cones do naturally carry more mids (quite a bit more actually). I used to have a 1155 combo cab (one 15" and a 5" they used as a tweeter) that sounded punchier than any other single 15" cab I've heard (although bag end makes a punchy 15). I frequently used it with a 410xl. The 410xl is a mid monster. It'll belt out mids but that's it without major eq'ing. I'd need to run the dreaded smiley face EQ just to flatten out the cab some. If you want a one cab does all solution from hartke, I'd strongly recommend looking at the 4.5xl. It produces a lot more lows than the 410xl and has better high end response due to the 5" speaker. Better single cab setup.

Oh, and in my experience, those aluminum cones tend to break up a little more suddenly than tradtional cones. They sound clean when driven and then suddenly aren't happy, as opposed to a more gradual breakup. As long as you aren't stupid with the EQ and/or volume knob, it isn't an issue.

All the above IMO...
  13. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I just bought a used 3500 head with a TP410 cab (I can't really carry the XL cab up and down stairs :bag: ) and in my ska band, the sound has really blown me away! Haven't had a chance to try it in my metal band. I assumed the sound would be kind of harsh and trebly, but when I took this to a battle of the bands the other day, and got to hear about 18 different bassists running through it playing different styles on different bassists, WOW was that a nice surprise! Every single band, reguardless of whether they were using a Squier P, or a Fender USA Jazz, had a warm, yet punchy sound, which cut through everything else easily. We were playing to about 300 people in a large hall, up against 2 micd Marshall JCM amps... Without any mics, the bass amp master never went above half volume. This combination definitely handles in a band better than it does solo though, it's voiced to cut through I think.