1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke 3500 head - no sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geeza, Mar 27, 2009.

1. I have an old Hartke 3500 head sitting around that I no longer use and want to get rid of.

It worked the last time I used it (a couple years ago), but now it doesn't. It gets power, the fan runs, all the lights light up, the compressor light acts like it's getting a signal, but the only thing coming out of the speaker cab is a humming noise. The hum gets louder as I turn up the volume, and the tone controls affect the hum as well (bass control adds bass, each of the EQ sliders add that frequency...) but no matter what, no sound from the bass.

I've tried everything - different cables, different basses, plugging into all the different jacks - nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Open it up and see if anything's loose/obviously broken.

I had a Hartke 2000 fall into my lap a couple years ago with a similar problem. One of the resistors was loose. Couple of dabs of solder and it worked good as new.

3. I did that. I can't see anything glaringly obvious.

4. Depending on where you stored it, the jacks ad control pots may have oxidized. Get some control cleaner from Radio Shack and spray it into the input jacks and run a Q-tip around inside the jack. Take the top off the amp and spray some into all of the controls also and work them back and forth several times.

Rick B.

5. It's been stored in an Anvil case, so very little dust. The controls are all controlling the humming sound, so I don't think it's the pots. I think it's something in the input, but I can't figure out what, and I can't see anything.

Do repair guys give free estimates?

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Perhaps examining the manual for your amp (which includes a BLOCK diagram) will yield some clues.

If you don't have one, you can download the HA3500/HA5500 manual from HERE.

7. I haven't heard of ANY even half way decent tech that would give his time for free (diag. and estimate). Mighty hard to pay your bills that way?

Have you tried the 10 band switch both in and out, solid state Pre only, remove the preamp tube and try the SS pre only?

8. Yes, of course I've done all that. I think it's something beyond my scope and ability to diagnose.