Hartke 3500 head w/Sansamp stompbox... overkill?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deepestend, Dec 2, 2003.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Hey all,

Previously, I'd been using a GK 200 watt head with a 15 inch cab. I was using a Sansamp Bass DI stompbox as a pre and it worked out nicely. I recently fell into a deal for a Hartke 3500 head that has a tube and solid state pre built into it.

I haven't tried the Sansamp with it yet, but I'm wondering if it's overkill to use it since I already have the pre-on the head. Sometimes I feel like I could use a little more boost-- but I'm not sure if that's just in my head.

Letmme know.

2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Suck it and see. I'm happy to use my SABDDI with whatever I'm going through, whether it's my Ashdown Mag-250 head, my old Peavey TKO-75 at church or whatever 'quality' amp the venue provides.

I generally just run it inline between the bass and the input jack.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The tube preamp in the hartke is there to color the sound, but not for overdrive.
  4. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I run my Sansamp BDDI into the active input of my Hartke 3500. Sounds great. As the Ox pointed out, you won't get overdrive from the tube side of the Hartke preamp.
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ditto's. The Hartke front end is pretty clean. You want some hair, the SABDDI would be a good choice.
  6. cmassa

cmassa Hello. My name is Chris, I'm a bass-aholic.

Nov 27, 2001
    I have a 7000 Hartke and the SansAmp is always
    ON. It makes the head sound much better.
    The SansAmp makes most things sound better.
    For me I use it with everything.