Hartke 3500 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jan 10, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Hey guys, anyone ever try one of these things out or own one? Im goin to GC to check out a used one of these 2morrow. I just joined a band so I need more power than my cheap GK backline head (only 100 watts) So if anyone has anything good or bad to say Id love to hear it b4 I go buy one 2morrow lol thanks
  2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I don't like the newer Hartke heads but still am very pleased with my tone on my older 3500 head. If it says "Mosfet" on the front then it is probably one of the older ones that sound much better. If it says "HA3500" on the front then it is probably one of the newer ones. That being said listen to it with a similar instrument/cab, then get it if you like it.
  3. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    ill definatly check that out, i have a feeling that itll be the older model cause i am buying used. but ill look into it, thanks
  4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I doubt it. The newer ones are FINE. I got one used with ears for $265. in excellent cond. This amp is an excellent amp with BALLS and TONE. Talk this guy down as much as you can. They are plentiful. GC will break their back for a sale. :)
  5. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    cool cool, im not worried about talkin him down, I called them today and spoke to a nice guy in the bass department, he said i can get one for 199.00 or another for 299.00 so im not too concerned about price cause either or is dirt cheap as far as im concerned lol
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The HA3500 was the first bass amp I ever owned. I loved it. Sounded good, got really loud, and was pretty simple to use. I got too big for my britches, and sold it.

I liked the tube pre in it, made for a nice warm tone.

7. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    one last question. im gonna be playing this head through an 8 ohm 400 watt cab, so i should get around 240 watts. do u guys think thats good enough for a live band situation in a small venue? ill be playing with a drumer and 2 guitarists, so what do u think? thanks alot
  8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Yeah, And later get another 8 ohm cab and run both for bigger sound. I used it with an 8 ohm PV 15 and an 8 ohm Eden 4-10 and both were LOUD. :cool:
  9. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I've got one - it's pretty solid. The 10-band EQ is a nice added benefit. The only things I dont like about it are that it's not as dead quiet as the sexier more expensive amps, and I don't like the compressor (thus, I keep the settings low).

If you're using it live, don't use it without spending a little time getting a good feel for the EQ.

10. +1

I liked mine pretty well tone-wise. I thought the SS/tube blender was a nice feature. You see them around the for sale forum for $250 - $300. I'd say $199 is a great price for one.