1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke 3500 into Peavey 1516, biamp question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buckglitter, Mar 27, 2006.

1. I just purchased a Hartke 3500 and a peavey 1516, I am wondering how I should run it. The peavey 1516 is rated at 400 watts, it has a black widow 15" driver and two 8" drivers the 15" is blown so I can't test it out until I get a replacement basket. There are inputs on the cabinet for bi-amping and for full range. I've read that these cabs sound much better when biamped. The hartke 3500 has two outputs @ 8ohms, can I run out of both of these outputs and into the bi-amp inputs of the peavey, or would this be too much for the two 8 inch speakers? Do I need to hit a crossover first?
    Thanks much, I'm new here, so hello everyone.
    Brandon

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The two outputs on your 3500 are parallel connections to a mono power amp. IOW it won't really do the biamp thing on it's own.

3. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    holy crap! if you bought it from gordy i'm sorry thats my fault. i had the same exact setup for a while. never really did much with it though sorry.

4. My experience with a Peavey 1810 I once owned, which is similar to the 1516 (but an 18" and two 10"s), is that they're better run full-range.

5. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    in the hartke line, you need either the ha5000 or ha7000 to biamp. i have the 5000 and biamp into a ampeg pr1528he cab--has a donward angled 15 and two front firing 8's. I set the crossover around 200 and w/ the 5000 you can pan the output between high and low outputs to "fine-tune" your overall tone. I like biamping w/ this setup, but lots of folks here comment that biamping can really be a function of the cabint(s) you have to work with. you can also biamp w/ 2 separate amps and a crossover--I also do this with the same cabinet and an AMP bh-420 (which has a crossover) for the low freq and a AMP BH-250 for the high end.

6. Thanks for the info guys, nice to hear that the cabinet should do okay in full range mode.

7. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    With the 3500, I don't see a choice other than full-range. IMO, the 1516 sounds fine full-range, although I have modified mine by adding a Motorola piezo tweeter and lowering the cabinet tuning from around 65 Hz to 43 Hz. The lower tuning makes it less boomy.

8. If you have a moment could you elaborate on Cabinet tuning and how you go about altering it?