Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 3500 -- Noisy XLR out??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squire_pwr, May 2, 2003.

1. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I got that from a Harmony-Central review (http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Hartke/3500_Head-01.html). I've searched the Amp forum a few times, but have never found this complaint at TB. I'm assuming either
    1) The HC reviewer (there were more than one) had bad luck or got a bad year of Hartke (is that possible?)
    2) The HC guy is just really picky
    3) I didn't search the forums enough.

Since I'm looking at getting the 3500 (or the GK400/700), I hope this thread will be nice and short, i.e. "No problems here!" :p But better get the answer here than after I've bought the amp! Thanks a lot!!!

2. I only know that if the master is turned up without having a cabinet on it, the xlr out will be distorted. When I turned it down, it went away. But I haven't used a cab and the xlr out at the same time.

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've never had any problems with that head when i've recorded with it or used it live. It's a great head, IME. It could be that guys head, but without reading the whole review, it's impossible to say where the hiss came from, it could be his bass, his effects, or something else. If you buy the amp though, and the XLR is nosiy, just get a cheap DI box.

4. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    also, there is a normal/gnd lift button on the back that can make a big difference...

jdkh

5. Or he actually has a fault with his amp... like dry joints or whatever that need to be repaired by a qualified technician. Its electronics... things fail or wear out from time to time. and yes even from the factory. As a electronics tech i often repair units that were bought only 3 weeks earlier. Luck of the draw with anything really.

:D:D

Merls

6. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    cool!! Thank a lot for the replies! I'm glad it's not a regular occurance, though it's good to know that such things do happen just so I don't get too large of a shock when I find out about it. :) Just hope I get a good one!!! :D Thanks again!!

7. I own the 3500 too... It's a good head. Just get it, it's a nice head. I noticed I asked way too many damn questions about these amps on HC forums and TB forums and with the reviews about them I seriously wonder, "What the hell are they talking about? SWR Workingman's combo better than hartke's kickback series? Peavey being more toneful than Hartke?" I mean I'm sorry, but for the price of the 3500 youll get massive tone (and not just 2 types either:rolleyes: ) as well as plenty of volume for anything. Just get it and quit asking the questions. People turned me away from this cab into different directions, and I ended up buying this anyways because I liked it. It does the job better for me.