Hartke 3500 or 4000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've whittled my choices of amps down to the Hartke 3500 or the 4000.

They are both in my price range (less than $500 new) and have the watts I want at 4 ohms (300-500).

I like the simplicity of the 4000. It's gotten alot of great reviews and only one negative one, whereas the 3500 seems to either be good or bad...seems you get a great one or a lemon...which leads me back to the 4000.

400 watts into a 4 ohm cab (mine is a 4 ohm 410). It has a wide ranging parametric EQ with a Sub-bass control feature for five string basses. It has a tuner by-pass switch and a sub-woofer output for extreme lows if one wanted to go that route.

It looks very intriguing.

Has anyone had any experience with the Hartke 4000 bass amp?

I would appreciate any feedback on these amps...good and bad.

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i've been using the 4000 for about three years and have been very happy with mine...
    friends working at local music store say they're waiting for it to crap out , but this thing
    has provided power , and reliability . i currently run two avatar cabinets- cb115h & cb112h ,
    or one bergantino ht310.
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

I have heard from alot of sources that Hartke's are unreliable and their tech support is even worse. However, all of those have gotten good ones have been using them for years and love them.

Also, I think the 3500 is the one with the reputation for the "hit or miss" with regards to reliability.

Do you feel the D-Bass adds a significant amount to the deep low end? I haven't had a chance to play through one, so any info about this amp is appreciated.
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

absolutely !! the d-bass feature along with the low & mid-low should give you
    plenty of bottom ... i also owned a hartke 3500, and i did have
    some issues with that amp . overheated and shut down on more than one occasion.
    { i used a hartke 410 cabinet }

i don't know if you get BASS PLAYER magazine , but
    terry buddingh gave the HA4000 a very good review June 2000 . :cool:
  5. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks for the info.

I'll be using a Peavey 410 TXF...rated at 350 watts continuous/700 watts program (which I assume means peak). It's a 4 ohm cab and I love the sound of that cab no matter what amps I've used.

I've got a 5 string Cirrus, I use Labella black nylon tapewounds and I play in a band that play mostly swing, rockabilly and blues...ala Brian Setzer and Stevie Ray Vaughn. A full low end is a must.

I'm looking forward to getting it and running it through it's paces. But I'd still like to hear more feedback if any one has any further comments...again, good or bad!
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Get the 4000. :cool:
  7. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, I am leaning towards the 4000 more than the 3500.

I like the simplicity of the 4000. Basically volume and parametric EQing. I'm intrigued by the tonal possibilities.
  8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I had a 4000 for a while and my only complaint with it was the weight.

I sold it to my guitarist's son who plays bass in a band that works a bunch around Houston and East Texas. He loves it and has been working it fairly hard with no problems at all. He runs it into 2 1x15 cabs.

When I went back to a head recently I went with an Ampeg B2r for weight reasons. If I had to buy new the new XS-400 from Yorkville looked interesting but noone locally had one to try out.

Out of the 3500 and 4000 I'd go for the 4000.
  9. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Do you know how much it weighs? I haven't seen a reference to the weight.

Although I will be hauling around a Peavey 410TXF cab so as long as it doesn't weigh that much, I'm fine with it. :) I won't be adding anything else with it...just the 4000 straight up, no rack.
  10. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I don't remember - but I think it was less than my ex-QSC RMX 850. So I'd guesstimate it's around 30-35 lbs. Not bad, just not light.

It was nice for non-racked use. The rack ears were optional (unlike my B2r which has a rackable faceplate) and it had a strap handle on the side and feet. So for standalone use it was set up very well.
  11. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    That's good to know...I haven't seen one in person and from the photos, it was hard to tell what the case/handles were like.

The 3500 (as most of Hartke's line) look more like rack units where you need to build a case for it...but the 4000 looked like a regular amphead that could be racked mounted if need be.

I have not played through one. I've played through a friend's 3000 and it sounded clean, though not much for tonal variety (whereas the 4000 has more control). I used his bass which was some nondescript thing.

I know my Cirrus 5 string sounds great right through a mixing board and just run flat. With my Cirrus, I'm able to get a great sound through a variety of all kinds of amps and cabs, so I'm not concerned about purchasing the 4000 without playing through it first.

I really only need an amp for volume...not to alter or color the tone of my bass. So the 4000 looks like a very straightforward, simple bass head. The tonal variety with it, would be more for the room and to bring out the acoustic properties of the Cirrus's wood. I'm looking for an amp that simply duplicates how my bass sounds when I put my ear on the horn and play it unplugged (that is the best sound)!

The 4000 seems like the perfect amp for that.
  12. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I agree... it is the best sound. That's usually how I play ('cept I close my jaw and put my chin on the horn) since I hate playing through my crap amp... a Gorilla BP-30
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here's the 3500.

And here's the 4000.

Both can either sit atop your cabs or be mounted in a rack case utilizing the supplied rack ears.
  14. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, I do rest my chin on my bass too. I played it that way every day for a week over my lunch hour...and bought it never plugging it into an amp.

The 3500 does come with sides mounted on it and can be used as a standalone amp without a rack...but the 4000 seems to fit my needs more.

Through various reviews I've come to the conclusion that the graphic EQ buttons on the 3500 are prone to falling off. Plus the 4000 is all solid state, so there are no tube issues for me.

I'm looking for an amp that is straightforward. If I could play through it flat I would. The tonal controls would be used judiciously.

Thanks for all the feedback. Any more? :)