Hartke 3500 or GK 400RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryan morris, May 27, 2005.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've found several older 400RB's (80's/early 90's) and a couple 3500 (older also) and am wondering which I should get.

I mostly play jazzier type rock fun stuff.. (www.sotmmusic.com).

I'd want to record with this amp (straight to a computer sometimes.. into boards others).. with nothing else but my bass (no eq, 18V EMG 40 DC PU's) and amp providing my tone.

(I also found an Eden WT300 for $350 and was tempted to buy that.. but would rather not go over $300 (because i need to put a lot back and save)).

So, for reliabilty, tone and recording, which is my better bet?

(ps.. sorry for such a similar post before this one)

Thanks, Ryan
  2. Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    The GK definatly.
  3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Take the Eden. It's a steal for that price.
  4. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    get the eden!!!! its in a much higher class than the hartke or gk, and its a GREAT price for it...you could always sell it and make a profit on it...
  5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  6. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    Except for possibly the Mesa Walkabout series, the Eden WT series is the best bass amp I ever heard. It may be an extra $50 over budget, but you'll never need another bass amp, which saves money in the long-term.
  7. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ha.. the eden does sound very tepmpting. very tempting indeed. (how's its tone compare to the gk and hartke?)

right now i'm leaning towards the 400rb though..

the money i need to save is for my summer course.. (large scale sculpture- which will prob. require a 'bit of money for metal (or whatever i use) but i'm thinkin' now that i could just spend a lot of time looking for "free" materials and buy that eden.. hmm?)

thanks so far guys.
  8. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    the eden is alot more versatile...you can get a really warm, buttery tone with it that you just won't get with the hartke or gk...it can also give you that hi-fi clean studio sound.

get the eden, you won't regret it!!!
  9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I'd go for the Eden too, even though I play GK myself. They sound much warmer and smoother than either previous generation GK or that Hartke. Really excellent heads. (The newer GK heads are much warmer than the old ones, and might approach the Eden, but I haven't done a direct comparison.)

As between GK and Hartke, for your purposes the GK is a better choice. It has much better tone IMO. In fact, I bought the Hartke as my first head, and returned it because of the noisy fan and sub-par (slightly harsh) tone. I bought a GK.

If it were for live gigs only, I might recommend the Hartke because of its MASSIVE volume compared to an old GK 400RB.
  10. throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    i get a good amount of volume out of my GK 400RB, using a sealed, 300W 4x12" Ampeg cab..

it's enough for a smaller gig.. and if i don't have enough volume, i'll just DI into the PA for more volume..

most of the time, stage volume isn't *that* high.. unless you are playing outdoors.. then yeah, it's a couple of SVTs with 8x10s, etc..

for practice, and smaller gigs the GK is fine.. it's cheap, it's been out for along time, and it does have a decent tone.. if you want to warm the tone up, get a low-gain tube pre-amp to warm it up..

solid state is solid state.. it's not going to get a tube tone.. it can get somewhat "tube-like".. but unless you have glass in your amp, you'll never get a real tube tone..

so, it's a trade off..

try the Eden.. if it's tone blows your socks off, save the extra cash and get it..

if you just cannot justify the extra costs, or you want to spread the wealth out on other equipment, get the GK, or the Hartke..

but, i prefer the GK tone to the Hartke's tone.. and all the issues with Hartke, not suggesting that *all* Hartkes have problems, but there *seems* to be problems that people are posting about on the net.. (all amps will have problems.. but how often, and how costly are they??)

honestly, if i had the cash, i would have bought a tube SVT rig.. but, it's heavy and huge.. and it's total overkill for what i'm doing..

the GK just happens to fit *my* needs..

1) cost.. it's was 225 used..
    2) the GK tone..
    3) with the 4x12", it put out enough to knock stuff off the neighbours walls, next to the practice house, resulting in a curt visit from the local police.. at 10:30 AM..
    4) it's very compact, and light.. and rackable..
    5) again, it was 225 bucks..

the only thing that i do not like is the convection cooling.. this is something that they addressed in the RBIII and VI.. i have yet to rack my 400RB.. when i do, i will have to install a rack fan (or two) to keep it cooled down inside the rack..

anyway, let your ears be the judge.. and your wallet is the guide.. ;)
  11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I have an idea. buy the Eden. Sell it for more than you payed for it. and then buy the GK, and end up with more money you had to start with.
  12. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    thats what i'm saying. buy the eden, if for some reason you don't fall in love with it (you will) you can still sell it quick and make a $100-$150 profit.
  13. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    for that price, get the eden. don't even think twice about it.
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Normally I'd say go for the GK, that's what I love, I can go anywhere from rock to jazz with it! But, for the price, I'd say go for the Eden.
  15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've got an Eden WT 300 I bought in 94, I have replaced 2 preamp tubes in 11 years. With the two cabs I have (2/10 neo LDS,410T) I could play any room in Detroit. It's small, sounds grea,t and I can't turn it above four, bleeds ears