Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 3500/preamp tube replaced

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Berten, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I replaced the preamptube of my hartkehead with a tube from Tesla. When I tried the amp out in my bedroom, I didn't notice much difference, but at rehearsel........more growl, warmth, punch.......
    And this costed me only 20 euro's!

So everyone with a hartke head, change the preamptube (my tech says that the stock one really sucks!) and for 20 bucks, your sound is much better!!

2. I'm planning on getting a JJ ECC83S soon too, don't want any dirt from it, just warmth.

The Hartke tube is so bad that at the moment I'm favouring the solid state section.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Berten.....I did the same thing. I was amazed how much better it sounded. I liked the sound from the original tube, but once I tried it with the new tube, I was really impressed. Made me wonder what I liked about the old sound. Almost like a different amp.

-Mike

4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    any guidance as to what types can be used and the "tone" or style you get from them? I have a ha5000 thanks!

ps: is this a simple DIY kind of thing?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    watspan.....it is a DIY thing.

I can not speak for all of the tubes out there, but I had much the same result with a Tesla as Berten did. It definitely added more "growl" to my tone, and I am always after more of that. More punch? Yeah, that was noticeable as well.

There is alot of information about tubes here in this forum. Do a search for a few of the different brands, and you will see how others rate them from their experiences.

-Mike

6. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    this sounds like a reasonable upgrade..where can one buy a Telsa tube for the 3500?