Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 3500 preamp tube replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Berten, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I want to replace the preamptube in my hartke 3500.
    First question: which type of tube do I need? A 12AX7?
    Second question: I want a more growly, dirty, ampeg-like tone (I know I'm not able to get it by changing the tube, but I want to try), which tube should I get (brand and type).
    Last question: who has changed the tube in his hartke? Which one do you use and how does it sound?

Thanks!

PS: I did a search, but I didn't found what I was looking for...

2. Im sorry to say most of the ampeg growl comes from the power tube section, if you want a dirtier sounding tube, you want to look for one thats a bit higher gain, try a high gain JJ 12AX7 :) , dont know how they'd work in the hartke, but ive only got JJ's in my preamp section :)

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've done it a bunch of times...You do need a 12AX7. Right now mine has a JJ12AX7s that's a 'high gain' version from Bob at Eurotubes. Before that I had an Ei tube in it that sounded great, but I would warn against them as their QC is pretty awful and you have to be lucky to get a new one. I've also had a variety of others in there: RCA,Sylvania, Mullard, EH...

If you're looking for Ampeg tone, I have to say you're not going to find it by switching out the 12AX7...that's not how it really works. You CAN change the tone color, though.

4. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Well, I know I can't get an ampeg tone from my amp. I just gave that as a refference: I just want my hartke to sound less HIFI and more warmth, growlier and 'ampeg-like'.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    There are a lot of online sources for tonal descriptions of different 12AX7s...I'd spend a bit of time searching. I'd suggest something that's higher gain than a standard 12AX7, and you might get a little more grit out of it.

I'd also suggest running your Hartke with the tube channel up and the solid state channel all the way down and see how it is. Unfortunately Hartkes aren't known for 'grit'.