1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke 3500 problem distorsion/extremely loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ls6454, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ls6454

ls6454

Sep 22, 2006
    I just sold my Hartke 3500 amp and when the purchaser received it there is a lot of volume at only 1-2 on the volume knob and a ton of distorsion almost like extreme amount of static, the amp worked fine before it was shipped,I gave him his money back and now I have it and don't know if I should sell it for whatever I can get or try and get it fixed.The problem happens with both preamps and nothing I have tried seems to help.

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Time for a new tube.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Is that what it is? Seriously? I was having the same trouble with my 3500 and no one seemed to know what was wrong.

A couple of follow-up questions, then:

- I have had mine since the mid-90s and never replaced the tube. Is that about the lifespan of a tube?

- Any particular tube I should use? Are there replacements that are better than the factory original?

- How much $$ do you think I'm looking at for the tube and labor to install?

These may seem like very basic questions and I apologize, but if I can bring my 3500 back to life for not much money I would be really really happy.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  5. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Not that it's needed, but +1, and you're back in business.

6. porkchop[

porkchop[

Dec 10, 2005
    I also have one from the 90's, and a new one, The older one is way louder, It has a new tube and I had to replace the plastic
    input jack board. I used good old metal ones. Also had to clean out the inside (vacuum the dust out) and clean the EQ sliders and pots with contact cleaner. It quit buzzing after that.

I just use the old one slaved of the new one which bypasses the pre on the older one, That way I get 1 preamp and 2 EQs and Volumes one for each set of cabs he he.

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Thanks for the link and advice, all! It looks like many different brands and price points are available... do you really get that much more for the extra money?

FWIW I was usually running my tube and solid state pre-amps at about 50/50, i.e. each knob at high noon. So if there is a noticeable difference in manufacturer I will spend the extra for the premium tube because it does make a difference to me. When my Hartke crapped out I bought an SWR WorkingPro 400 but I have not been that happy with it and am really missing the tube preamp.

8. ls6454

ls6454

Sep 22, 2006
    Thanks for the reply's,but I have tried another tube and it still does it,it also does it with the solid state preamp.

9. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Have you gone through the unit's internals and looked around for shipping damage?

Fixed a couple of amps once that would do what you say, but flex the circuit board and the amp would be fine again. Let the circuit board go and the problem would return. Cracked etch. Obviously you have to be playing while you do this. Keep away from the high voltages. You can use a folded leather guitar strap or a wooden rod or screwdriver handle or whatever. Flex only a tiny bit. Also check around for loose wires, especially wires that are screwed in place or in molex (white nylon) connectors. I fixed an amp once where the molex connectors were plugged in right, but one of the many pins in the male side had backed out of its housing, so it was only touching the connector in the mating socket (rather than being fully inserted into it).

I'm suggesting this because it appears the only change has been that the amp was physically moved. That's assuming the other guy's giving you the whole story.