Hartke 3500 problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bas_anton, Jan 26, 2002.

1. I bought my Hartke for about one year ago. A month ago it started to distort ( I don´t know if that is the right word for it) Does somebody know what´s wrong. Is it the tube?

2. JayPeaTea

Jul 24, 2001

To find the problem tweak all the knobs to see where the distortion kicks in... (in the pre or the power section...).
    What kind of load are you driving the amp - 4ohms, 8ohms or 2.6667 ohms???
    <4 ohms is deadly to the power output stage of the amp... did/does it smell funny? (= output transformers are burned => expensive to repair)

here's what happened with my Hartke

I have the 2000 model which is almost like the 3500 model, and it had the same kinda problem a little while ago...
    It just started to distort! I never abused it - badly :). So I tweaked the knobs, and found that the tube input stage distorted but the transistor input stage didn't. So I tought the tube had gone bad or something, and took it to the shop...

The tube was OK. But some component in the tube input stage had broken it's connection on the circuitboard or something like that... and thus causing the distortion...

You see all the soldering in all of the Hartke's are made by machines -> bad connections (only few though). Just take it to the shop and have the tech take a look at it... should not be too expensive.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    It could be one of a few problems. Could be something as simple as a tube gassing, or maybe your running it too hard causing clipping. Or maybe one of the components inside the head is fried. Could even be your compressor in it is shot. I really cant say what it is. But you should take it too a tech asap.