Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 3500 problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kayup, May 9, 2004.

1. kayup

kayup

Jun 3, 2003
    Cardiff, UK
    Afternoon,

I turned on my amp last night and when i played through it it sounded like i'd blown a speaker - crackly and distorted. This was strange as i'd been playing it quietly the night before and it had sounded fine. But when I ran the head to a speaker that was definitely not blown, the same thing happened. I put a new battery in my bass to no avail, then suddenly it just stopped making distressing noises and has been pretty much fine since.

Was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or could shed any light before i go ask at the shop/contact Hartke (i hear their customer service isn't so hot.)

The amp was bought new no more than six months ago.

cheers!

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have heard that in my Hartke 3000. Look forward to what others think it might be.

3. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I had a combo with the 3500 in it and it started sounding like it had the flu. I changed the tube and it sounded new again. Does it sound bad with just the solid state preamp going? :confused:

4. x4x

x4x

May 10, 2003
    Erps-Kwerps
    forgot to pull the cord our your bass the night before? ;)

i had that once :)

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    *This is a guess*, but I think it could be your output jack on the bass, or an input jack on the amp. Try plugging in to the "passive" (or "active", if you plug into "passive") input on the amp and see what happens. Hartke's are known for cheap input jacks, and I had both of mine replaced on my 3500 because they were making strange noises (grounding problems).

:bassist:

6. kayup

kayup

Jun 3, 2003
    Cardiff, UK
    haha,I made sure i didn't do anything too thick before posting, so I put a new battery in my bass, didn't help - tried a passive bass (through the passive input) and had the same problem, and also tried it with just the solid state level right up, same problem.

Maybe they just decided to put some kind of small animal inside and its just come out of hibernation and is trying to get out....

i dunno, thanks for the replies anyway, its not a catastrophe or anything, just makes me wary of trusting it to be reliable. Will check the inputs.

mike

7. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Check the tube. My Eden preamp was doing the same thing. I changed the tube and it has worked fine ever since.

8. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    hi,I had the same problem with my hartke 3500 head,even at volume levels like 2 or 3, it was still there.but shortly after that I sold it anyway.I suggest give hartke a call,see if they can help you.

9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Check the tube. I have a Trace-Elliot that was doing the same thing. Turns out it was a defective pre-amp tube.

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just experienced the EXACT same thing on my 3500. I'm going to take mine in this weekend and see what they say. I'll post what the tech tells me.
    -Bazz-

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Of course I've not had ANY service performed on this amp since I got it in 1998 (I think...maybe 1997...it's been a while.)

12. kayup

kayup

Jun 3, 2003
    Cardiff, UK
    Yeah, i went to the shop i got it from the other day and they reckoned it was the tube as well. Its still under warranty though, which is something...

13. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I use to have a Hartke 5000. I had a very similar problem. I took it in to be repaired. Apparently Hartke's are notorious for having something called "cold solder" points (some of the solder points inside the amp break loose -- poor craftsmanship is to blame -- that's why I've gotten rid of my hartke stuff).

Most of the solder points in my amp had to be re-soldered. Problem solved. It cost me about $80.00. If you do a search in the TBL archives and/or google searching on Hartke and cold solder points you should be able to turn up some information.

Good luck.

14. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have a 3500 combo and a month after I had bought it I had to take it in for replair (same exact problem) and they had to replace to tube.
    good luck with it. Honestly, I'm not very satisfied with it cause it's been in the shop for over a month (different problem) The 4 speakers and horn blew out.
    No idea how that coulda happened.
    It just happened while I was practicing and they just went out. No loud noise no nothing.
    Wanna get rid of it as soon as it's fixed.
    Good luck with yours.