Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 3500 speaker cabling ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gintaras, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I am a midlife newbie and have just graduated from a 90 watt combo to a Hartke 3500 and 4x10xl cab. Bought these separately over a 6 day period for a total of $325.

Being a computer guy, I find most manuals to be fairly bad and the hartke manual is right in the fray. On the back of the amp are 2 speaker jacks and they have 8 ohm written next to them. In the manual it states to plug a 4,8 or 16 ohm cab into that jack. I am planning to have another 8 ohm cab. (possibly and avatar 112) The 4x10 has 2 jacks and i understand that I can go from amp to the 4x10 and then from there to the other cab. This will give me 4 ohms. The question is what happens if I plug each cab into one of the external jacks. Does this still also give 4 ohms on the 3500? :meh:

2. The two jacks on the amp are in parallel. So you can safely plug in one 4 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs, or four 16 ohm cabs...

3. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    is there any advantage to use both jacks for (2) 8 ohm cabs or to chain them together?

4. If you daisy chain your cabinets, there will be a little more resistance in the cabling going to the second cabinet. Otherwise, it's the same as plugin both directly into the speaker outputs on the head. Both make a parallel connection.

5. Exactly as 12bass said.

When I use two cabs, I try to plug them both into the head.