Hartke 3500 speaker cabling ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gintaras, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I am a midlife newbie and have just graduated from a 90 watt combo to a Hartke 3500 and 4x10xl cab. Bought these separately over a 6 day period for a total of $325.

Being a computer guy, I find most manuals to be fairly bad and the hartke manual is right in the fray. On the back of the amp are 2 speaker jacks and they have 8 ohm written next to them. In the manual it states to plug a 4,8 or 16 ohm cab into that jack. I am planning to have another 8 ohm cab. (possibly and avatar 112) The 4x10 has 2 jacks and i understand that I can go from amp to the 4x10 and then from there to the other cab. This will give me 4 ohms. The question is what happens if I plug each cab into one of the external jacks. Does this still also give 4 ohms on the 3500? :meh:

2. The two jacks on the amp are in parallel. So you can safely plug in one 4 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs, or four 16 ohm cabs...

3. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    is there any advantage to use both jacks for (2) 8 ohm cabs or to chain them together?

4. If you daisy chain your cabinets, there will be a little more resistance in the cabling going to the second cabinet. Otherwise, it's the same as plugin both directly into the speaker outputs on the head. Both make a parallel connection.

5. Exactly as 12bass said.

When I use two cabs, I try to plug them both into the head.