Hartke 3500 vs 4000 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Hartke 3500

13 vote(s)
  2. Hartke 4000

15 vote(s)
  1. Ok.. i want to buy a new, rackmountable amp.
    My choice fell on the Hartke 4000, but my regular tech-guy totally adviced me against it.. he said i should go for the 3500..

so.. my question to you is : 3500 or the 4000 ?
    and most important.. WHY ?
  2. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    The HA3500 in my opinion sounds better and I like the graphic EQ much more than the parametric.
  3. Surely there must be more people with an opinion about this ?

c'mon people.. i thought you guys were experts ? well here's your chance to prove it.
  4. The graphic eq says it all for me....
  5. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hello Allodox,
    I´ve tried both.....and decided to bougth the HA4000.

I think is a very good amp, you can dial almost every sound with the full parametric EQ, and it have 400 watts @ 4 ohms which is a lot of power to drive two cabs. I have now one 410 cab, and planning to buy a 1x15 cab to add some bottom end.

Two monts ago I had a gig with my band in front off 1000 people in a medium-large stage. I used my amp with two Hartke 410TP cabs, and it sounded great, lots of volume, and I didnt turn the volume knob more than 5. The only thing I think this amp should have to be a knockout is a bi-amp mode.

One last thing, I´ve been using it since january ´99 and never experienced any problem.

Hope this help.

Salud amigos.
  6. Is the only reason you guys rather have the 3500 over the 4000 because of the graphic EQ? or does it sound better or something?
  7. From what I've heard from the HA4000 and the HA3500, they're made a lot alike, the graphic EQ adds definition to the sound....
  8. My question would be.. do the more tone-shaping capabilities of the 3500 match up with the extra features of the 4000 ? does the 50w extra make any (big) difference ?

the price difference is about $ 40..

2 preamps ( tube & solid state )
    350w / 8 ohms
    10 band Graphic & parametric EQ
    switchable DI
    power-on delay
    no line-out for sub
    no tuner-out

Solid State preamp
    400w / 8 ohms
    Parametric EQ
    2 FX-loops
    2 DI's
    line-out for sub
    mute switch
  9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I have a 7000 (same layout as 3500 except its biampable) that I've used successfully since it was new in 1993. I basically run it flat except I drop the 3K slider totally out of the picture (I find this to be a very ugly frequency) and both preamps at 4. I've never heard a 4000 but I think the parametric is probably less flexible than the graphic.
  10. I read mixed reactions on the 3500 on harmony central..

apparantly the CS is crap ( according some of the reviews )

the 7000 is also a very interesting option indeed.. it has 2 end-amps.. so i could hoop up 2 4x10's and 2 2x10's.. hmm :)

some guy told me that with a bi-amp you MUST have 2 cabs at least ( one per channel ), but i've also heard otherwise.. can you clarify this for me ?
  11. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i've had my 3500 now for 8 years and have never ever had a problem. good sounding and very durable. :)
  12. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i have the 3500 and love it. it's 350 @ 4 ohms. the 4000 is 400 @ 4 ohms...
  13. Hi AllodoX,

I own a Hartke 5000 and it does not need a cab per channel. I used only a single 15 cab and it worked just fine!

I bought a 2x10 last weekend and the two of them together sound a lot better though!!
  14. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    actually my hartke 3500 amp came built into my 1155 combo. they stopped making this combo years ago because the head is too powerful for the one speaker. i had the combo just a few months, and i blew the speaker (i wasn't even pushing it too hard).

everything was under warranty. hartke shipped me a new speaker - and paid for all the freight (no questions asked)

i've been very happy with hartke.
  15. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey Allodox,
    the power you mentioned for both amps is at 4 ohms, don´t know the 3500 but the 4000 delivers 290 watts @ 8 ohms......

Well....... all that extra features are great, pre and post eq DI, tuner output, mute switch (tuner output always on)....
  16. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I prefer the Hartke heads that have the tube preamp in them. They really sound good with a good tube in them. The SS amps also sound good but a little less focused or not as much detail in the tone.

I've avoided Hartke amps for years as they had a reputation of poor reliability when they first came out. I recently got a Kickback 12 in a trade and really like the little amp. Sounds great with upright bass in small venues.

I've also recently made a trade that is bringing a Hartke 2000 head my way. I admit to being something of an equipment snob, however, I've come to like some of the equipment that Hartke offers.

I'd go for the 3500 over the 4000.

17. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    When I was last shopping for an amp, I was seriously considering an Ampeg B2R or B5R, but when coming down to the final decision, on as lark I plugged into a Hartke 3500. I was amazed at the volume difference. Hartkes all seem to be much louder than other amps with the same wattage listed. I think the natural tone of the Ampeg was better, but the graphic eq on the Hartke works quite well. BTW, I then ended up buying a Hartke 5000 because they had a used one in good condition that cost less than any of the others available at the time. Even into a single 8 ohm cabinet, the 5000, which is really designed for biamping (which I prefer) is remarkably loud. My point to all this rambling is that you should not let the 50 watt difference affect the equation. Consider the features of each and make your decision on them while ignoring the wattage difference. Just make sure you are fully aware of all the differences in features and how they may affect you. I.e., do you need 2 DIs, or multiple effects loops? Do you like their tube preamp? ...
  18. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    i would not go for the 4000 again if i could go back in time. I would take either the 3500 or the 5000 because they have 2 volume controls, something like input/output which is supposed to help you reduce distortion i don't know i haven't tried it. Anyways, the 4000 only has one volume, and the parametric eq sort of confuses me, so i just find the sound i want and leave it alone. The 4000 has been extremely reliable, though, not a single problem for the 2 years of ownership.
  19. I've got a 3500, had it since 1992. Beat the snot out of it and it still works great. I currently run a Hartke1X15 and 2X10 off this one amp and its plenty loud.
    I prefer the graphic eq over the paramteric for simplicity sake, its tons easier to slide in or out bad freqencies w/ sliders than tweeking knobs. Also on the 3500 is the 2 post contours which I used tons of times to remove muddiness or harshness when a room is just not happenin soundwise.(the compressor=useless). The preamp section is good, i use a 60/40mix tube/digital. To me using 100% tube pre doesn't have the major warmth, but its still very useable.
    Remember that ther 3500 is 350 at 4ohm, not 8. However i rarely play over 5 or 6 in mid size clubs. I find the 3500 perfect for pretty much everything I've played.

I recently played a large club and rented 2 4.5Xl and a 7000. The biamping is the balls and the crossover was totally cool to play w/, felt like a real rockstar w/ all that punch behind me. Loud as heck-too loud actually. It will prolly be my next rig.
  20. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    allodox, i thought you already had a hartke 3500: http://www.allodox.nl/article.phtml?page=2

and I would take a 3500 over a 4000 => tube preamp+graphic eq+parametric eq(wide band@100 hz and one at 10000hz)