Hartke 3500 vs Carvin R600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, Apr 22, 2001.

1. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    What do you think?? Especially all you tech heads out there. I can pick up a Hartke combo for 350 bucks. I own the Carvin R600. Which one has better quality components, manufactureing etc? O. K., To put it another way, I am amp knowlege impared, and considering the purchase of a Hartke 3500 to replace my cyclops. I would have to sell the cyclops to finance this sale. Tit for tat which is the better amp??
  2. Carvin i'd say, its 600 watts as opposed to 350, Carvin is bi-ampable, it has more features too.. but its more expensive than the Hartke...I think the hartke 5000 or 7000 amps are more comparable to the Carvin R600.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think it's a toss-up, quality and sound wise.
  4. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Thanks for the input. It would be nice to get a more feedback. I have only been playing a year and really need the expertise of you guys with experience and knowledge.
  5. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Why would you do this? Since you already have the Carvin, all you need to do is try out the Hartke and decide if you like it better. I'm not familiar with Hartke, but I think the odds are against its outperforming the Carvin or being better in quality (i.e., it would seem like a serious downgrade). I can't see why you would even consider it unless you were unhappy with the R600. If that's the case, then I'd wonder why you would consider a lesser amp (a catalog I have indicates the Hartke 3500 is about half the amp that the R600 is!) rather than an upgrade.
    - Mike
  6. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Mostly because I have no experience. And Watts aren't everything. If the Hartke has better sound and is better made then I should grab it. I think you are right but!!! And yea I am not totally happy width the Carvin. It appears to be a quality amp, but it's what's inside that counts. I don't know much about sound but I can't seem to adjust it to get wht I want out of it.
  7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have a Hartke 7000 in a 210 combo that sounds great and is real loud. The problem is I got it used and it has some problems with broken solder joints that I have to get repaired. Hell I'd trade you even up for your Carvin. I don't think Hartke's quality is better than Carvin's. I would keep the Carvin.