Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hartke 3500 vs gk400rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deepestend, Nov 15, 2003.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Someone in my neighborhood was selling a hartke 3500 head for $200. I wasn't even thinking about buying a new head, but it was a good price and it looks better than then one I've got. I've played it and think it's better, but I just wanted to ask before I let the GK go, is there any reason to keep it over the hartke?

GK 400RB: 200 watts, some tone shaping, one input

Hartke 3500: 350 watts, onboard eq and compression, active and passive inputs

Seems like the Hartke wins and I know that it comes down to what I think sounds better. But, I jumped on this with very little research and more compulsiveness than thinking, so let me know if there's anything I'm not thinking about.

Oh yeah, it's for my practice space and I usually play with drums and 1-2 guitars using marshall stacks.

J-R

2. If i were you i'd definatly buy the hartke head! for that price, as long as it is in trusting condition, is very good for what you're getting. If you are looking for more power than what you have now, I'd say thats a great choice. Ask the seller if you can use it for maybe a week before giving the money so you can be sure you want it.

3. I own a GK 400RB and a 3500. I suggest you latch on to the Hartke for that price. They are good heads, and it sounds like you'll need the extra power.

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Here's another vote for the hartke

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have had both and there is no comparrison to me....GK all the way. I really did not like that hartke head. I liked the extra power but was not happy witht he tones. I am in the minority who still like GK's I guess.:(

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've played both, and I've owned many GKs. Buy it! you won't be sorry at that price.

7. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I've used a Hartke 3500 for ten years now, and it hasn't let me down yet.

8. wow, ask this question on HC and they'll all say keep the GK head.

I use a hartke 3500 and it's a great cab. It's powerful, clean, and it has a lot of good features. With 350 watts you can more efficiently run 2 separate cabs. Now the GK heads are not bad. If I were you, I'd try and keep the GK and invest in the 3500... You'll have the GK for when you want that GK tone and when you don't need as much power or as a backup head. BOTH heads are great, and if I could own both myself, I think I would.

You'll need a rack case for that hartke though; they have a tendency to get beat up pretty easily, every one of these heads on ebay has missing EQ sliders. I've never had that problem with mine though.

Good luck

9. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Thanks for all the advice. I just sold my bass synth pedal for $200, so I'm just going to put that cash back into the hartke. And I've just been rehearsing at home with an old guitar amp-- so on everyone's advice, I think I'm going to keep the Gk head for home use and look for a 1x12 to run it through. Thanks for all the feedback!

Any advice on a cheap 1x12 to get for home use?

10. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    200 bucks is an awesome price for a 3500. I sold mine about a year ago for $325 and people were climbing over each other trying to get it. I'd jump on it if I were you.

It's a great head too. It served me very well for several years.

11. I got mine back in March used for $300... The guy selling it was very nice. I think it's worth the money if you get it used. $200, that's a GREAT price, especially if it's in mint condition.