Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 3500 vs HA4000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RJS, May 16, 2002.

1. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    Hi all. I was just wondering how these heads compare to eachother? I was considering both, but I haven't been able to make a direct a/b comparison. It will be used with either a 4X10 cab or a 2X10 and 1X15 cab. Just wondering if anybody has experiences/opinions using either of these.

Thanks,

RJS

2. Honestly, I prefer the 3500, less power but the Graphic EQ makes a world of difference....I recently played a show where I pushed my 3500 through a 4x10 and 1x18, it was thumpy, and I competed easily with a 300W Marshall all tube half stack, it was great....They're both tough as nails, and have a great sound....It takes a little more patience with the 3500, with the 10 bands of EQ, but it's worth it when you fix it up nice, the 4000 with the parametric EQ is a bit tricky, a bass player friend of mine uses one, he enjoys it, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 3500 sound alot more....3500, or 5000 if you're intrerested in more power, either way, killer ****....Grab it up.

3. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Of those two I would choose the HA4000.

....more power, more useful tone controls.

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    The HA3500, again less power but it sounds alot better to my hears with Graphic EQ and both Tube and Solid State Preamps.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would go for the 3500. Thats because I have one and personally know how great it is. I love the 10 band EQ. It might take a bit to of time to set, but its much easier to see and set than the parametric.

Peace
    Nick

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well i tour solid through the summer months and i have a 3500! I run it through a swr goliath 4-10 and a old ampeg 15 with 2 small self monitors! It has plaenty of power and you can make anything you want as far as tone! I work at a store that sells them and i always try to push them for anyone that plays in a cover band because you can get any tone you want from it! I needed the eq because i play in a funk rock band part of the time and in a modern jazz band the rest of the time! Great to dial in your diff tones! Great price as well!

7. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    Thanks for the responses. So is the 3500 loud enough to drive a 4X10 cab or maybe a 2X10 and 1X15? I'm thinking of using it with a Hartke 4.5XL. How would this combo be? Would the 5000 be woth the extra money? I don't really think I need the 5000, because I'll only run 2 cabs at the most (and will probably start out with just one)...at least for a long while. Thanks for all the help.

RJS

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well i said that i use it through a 4-10 swr and a 15 ampeg and i could blow the windows out of your house with it! I only turn my head about half way with both cabs! And trust me you wont need it any louder!

9. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    And also there is one word you need to always keep in your head! (Light) because remember you will be hauling this crap around with you!

10. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    You only need to tur it up half-way? Half-way is the max most things should be turned up. Anything past 7 usually sounds like crap.

11. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i have the 3500 running through the 4.5xl. it's plenty loud enough...

12. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    Thanks for the info Eric.
    I'm kinda torn because I can go two routes. I can get the head and a 4X10 cab (and add a 1X15 later), or I can look for a 2X10 cab and a 1X15 cab right now.
    Jodaka, how do you like your set up? I'm kinda torn between the Hartke 4.5XL and the 410BXL. Is the tweeter worth the extra money? Thanks for the help everyone.

RJS

13. Hi:
    I too have a 3500. Been working great since 93. I've only recently had it serviced (cleaned) and the tech recommended I change the tube. I drive a hartke 1X15 and a 2X10. Sounds great (my bandmates say the bass tone is warm, punchy and tight), its plenty loud and so far so good. I personally don't use the Eq much but i find the post contour more useful to reduce/increase my sound in different clubs. The on board compressor IMO is useless.

As far as the 4.5 vs a regular 410. Its not only the tweeter which is different, its the cab design the construction and the output. The 4.5 is ported differently than the 410. Its a bit heavier and more solid, also when I've used the 4.5 it was a bit more thumpier(is this a word) than the 410s. I find the 4.5 to be a better sounding cab. Its also weighs more. Like Mr Atkinsons says you got to lug this stuff around.
    frank

14. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'm pretty set on the Hartke...and I think I'll pass on the 4000. I'm looking at either the 3500, 5000, or 7000. I really don't need the power of the 5000 or 7000, but you never want to be under powered. I'd hate to get the 3500, and 6 months from now for me to be wishing that I spent the extra hundred bucks on the 5000. But, to be really honest, the 5000/7000 may be way overkill. It's really for practice, small to medium sized clubs/bars, and a freakin' huge church. Good thing the sound carries well in therethough (even from my 40 watt combo):p. Unfortunately, I can't compare the two becuase nobody in my area carries Hartke (lots of Crate though :eek: ). Thanks for all the help.

RJS

15. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i like my setup a lot. just the other day, i ordered the 2.5xl, for practice use mostly. possibly a 15" will be added to the setup down the road, for more flexibility. imo, the tweeter is worth the extra cash, that's why i went for the 2.5xl as opposed to getting the 210xl. keep us posted...