Hartke 3500 vs Peavey Max

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tsal, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Update on my rig situation:

I'm pretty much decided on Eden CX-212 cab, but the head is the issue here. I see Ebay.de has Peavey Max pre for couple hundred bucks, and I could get some used power amp(Warwick WPA-400 is on Ebay too) to go with that. So, two questions:

Would Peavey Max be better than the preamp on Hartke 3500 and,

Would I be able to get a decent 400-500w(mono) poweramp for 300 bucks at Ebay or should I just settle on Hartke 3500?
  2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

I've never tried the Hartke that you mentioned but I can tell you that I feel that the Peavey Max is a lot of preamp for the cost that you can get them at new or used. I run mine with a 1000 watt E&W PS-1000 power amp and it sounds great to me. I wish that I could use some of the terminology that jokerjkny uses to describe the various amplification products that he's tried but I haven't had the pleasure of trying the variety that he has.

The Max will give you a lot of versatility. Tones from very clean to distortion can easily be gained from the controls that it offers. I don't know what kind of prices you would pay in Europe for power amps but there are a lot of very good inexpensive options on my side of the pond. ;) Hopefully someone else who has tried both will be along to give you a good comparison of the two and offer some power amp options. Good luck!