Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 3500 vs Peavey Max

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tsal, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Update on my rig situation:

I'm pretty much decided on Eden CX-212 cab, but the head is the issue here. I see Ebay.de has Peavey Max pre for couple hundred bucks, and I could get some used power amp(Warwick WPA-400 is on Ebay too) to go with that. So, two questions:

Would Peavey Max be better than the preamp on Hartke 3500 and,

Would I be able to get a decent 400-500w(mono) poweramp for 300 bucks at Ebay or should I just settle on Hartke 3500?

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Tsal,

I've never tried the Hartke that you mentioned but I can tell you that I feel that the Peavey Max is a lot of preamp for the cost that you can get them at new or used. I run mine with a 1000 watt E&W PS-1000 power amp and it sounds great to me. I wish that I could use some of the terminology that jokerjkny uses to describe the various amplification products that he's tried but I haven't had the pleasure of trying the variety that he has.

The Max will give you a lot of versatility. Tones from very clean to distortion can easily be gained from the controls that it offers. I don't know what kind of prices you would pay in Europe for power amps but there are a lot of very good inexpensive options on my side of the pond. ;) Hopefully someone else who has tried both will be along to give you a good comparison of the two and offer some power amp options. Good luck!