Hartke 3500 w/Bag End S-15D - comments

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oddentity, Mar 19, 2001.

1. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I received my new amp rig on Friday-- :cool: a Hartke 3500 head with a Bag End S-15D cabinet.

I used the rig to practice and play along with some records Friday night, and then Saturday I gave it a bigger test - practice with my band (loud drummer and 2 Marshall-loving guitarists).

I started out running with the 10-band EQ disengaged and the low and high contours set flat; set the tube/SS mix to about 7 on the tube and 3 on the SS. With the master volume set at 1, the amp was VERY loud for practicing in my bedroom. I played around with the compressor for a bit, but couldn't get a decent sound out of it, so I've left it off.

The sound was very punchy and has a well-defined low end. Tight, not boomy. I don't need a lot of high-end sparkle, so I didn't miss the lack of a tweeter on the cabinet. The single 15 put out plenty of mids and highs for my taste. In practice with my band, the bass cut through much better than it had when I was sharing the PA with the keyboards and singers. I had no trouble hearing the articulation of individual notes even when the guitars were going full blast.

I ended up simply leaving the EQ off, and turned the high contour down a notch or two to take out some fret noise. I also found that turning down the tone on my bass while boosting the Hartke's low contour a bit yielded a fantastic dub-style tone, very useful for the reggae songs in our set.

I'll probably add a second S-15D (or maybe an S15x-D) to get the full 4 ohm/350 watts out of the Hartke. It develops 240 watts at 8 ohms, and I was running the master volume at 5 or 6 with the full band. Hopefully adding the second cab will give me a touch more headroom.

So - all in all, I'm extremely happy with this setup. :D It's a vast improvement over the 60-watt Fender/PA setup I was using before. And I got the whole thing for about $700 -- imho, this is a great rig for that kind of money, and I'll be able to expand it in the future. :cool: