Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HARTKE 3500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SLAPBASSPLAYA5, May 4, 2004.

1. im looking to get one these heads instead of the other post which was for a gk backline 250.
    im really impressed with the stats, but i wanna know from you guys just how good or bad it is. any feedback would be helpfull. thanks! oh btw, im looking to run it through a Avatar B410 cab. thanx

2. Not a very good sounding amp, imo. I don't like the sound of either pre-amp, and you'll be spending alot of time tweaking e.q. to get useable tone.

Then again, it depends on the cab yer using too. I was pumping it thru an SWR Henry the 8, and it really sounded anemic & dull.

3. I disagree. I had a 3500 and really liked the tube pre side of things. I found it was a great amp with plenty of power (for what I needed at the time, If you're doing big venues you'll need more power), looks cool (FWIW), and had flexible enough tone control to get whatever I wanted out of it. The big down side to me is that it is a fairly noisy amp. Too much hiss to do the modern slap/hifi thing. IMHO. YMMV.

Stay Low,
    BT

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I disagree as well. I use one on a daily basis, and I'm fairly picky about my tone. It's not that hard to find a good tone with these amps. I don't like graphic EQs, but even I can dial in what I want. It's good bang for the buck, too. I will agree that the high end is a bit hissy. As for power, this will be fine if used with a 4 Ohm cab. It's a pretty loud amp for it's rating.

Do a search for "hartke 3500" and I'm sure there are more reviews out there.
    :bassist:

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My 3500 was awesome. I spent little time adjusting my EQ. Then again, I am not a tone junkie. If I was, I would have bought one of those 500 channel EQ's. :D

Seriously....I loved mine. The tube warmth sounded good, and the SS side has some great tones as well. I miss mine. I REALLY miss the old 3500 210 combo I used to have.

-Mike

6. Some people swear by them, others swear at them. I swore at mine. My first one lasted a week; I took it back to the store and they replaced it with another. It sounded great for about 2 years then it was one thing after another. I got rid of it, got an Ampeg and have stopped swearing at my amp. It did sound good when it was working correctly, though.

7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I just bought a used one for $250. I have a Mesa 400+, An old V-4, ASunn 2000s, a Bassman 135. These are all tube amps that sound excellent. The Hartke is a very good sounding amp. It has a lot of power too. When I get my Mesa back (blew a tube or something), I'll keep it for a backup amp. But I will not hesitate to use it for a main amp.

I put a Sansamp BDDI in front of it to reduce SS clankiness.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had a 3500 and sold it to our sound man. Every once in a while I play it at rehearsal and get seller's remorse. I wish I'd've kept it. It's a very good amp.

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I had a 7000 (same amp, twice the power) that I bought new in 93.

Sounded way better than my GK 800RB from the get go, and I was always
    able to get a good sound with any cab in any room.

Never had even one technical problem with it (although I did replace the tube about a year ago). I sold it about a month ago due to the fact I don't need anything close to that wattage anymore, and got a...3500.

This is even more watts than I need but the 2000 (the next model down) didn't sound as good to me. This amp (3500) sounds and has performed just like my trusty 7000 so far.

I actually ended up with two of these (I was already committed to one when an even better deal came along on another). I was going to keep the other as a backup, but realized I'll probably never need it (plus my practice amp could get me through most gigs if needed).

If anyone is interested in one I'll probably be selling the extra one soon.

10. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I played a 3500 through two 8 ohm Eden cabinets (115 + 210) for a few years and I was happy with this combination. I liked the versatility in tone and usually had a 50/50 mix between the tube and the transistor pre-amp, sounded warm and punchy at the same time. Never had any technical problems with it but I know a few people who did (after about 3 to 4 years of use). Plenty of power, it is loud enough for most purposes. Good value for money.

I have now switched to a Glockenklang head and Epifani 4x10 because I wanted a change in sound, not because I was dissatisfied with Hartke.

11. The 3500 is quite popular over here. There seems to be some QC issues, every once in a while a horror story like lonote´s pops up on some Finnish BBS´s. I´ve played few gigs through one and I think they sound pretty good (don´t care about the toob pre though) and are loud as hell.

12. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I owned a 3500 a few years back, and I really loved it. The only reason I got rid of it was because I needed more power. I was playing it though a Hartke TP 410, a HArtke TP 115, or both at once, and the 3500 never had trouble running both cabs in a hot smoky room for 2 hours. The only problem I had with it was the side carrying strap broke off in about the 3rd year. No big deal, but it taught me a lesson to rack it.

Anyways, great sounding, reliable, quality amp and the price is certainly right!

13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

this is almost the same exact experience i had with my 3500.... :meh:
    i eventually sold mine and got the Hartke HA4000 . i've been using it for a few years now and have been very happy with it. :cool:

14. I've had a 3500 in a combo amp and it has been going strong for 10 years. I've never had to turn it up past 4. Highs are a bit much now that I have a modulus with the graphite neck though.

Graphite neck and active p/u's + 3500 + aluminum speakers = too bright a sound.

I loved it with my passive basses..a yamaha and a fendersaki.